Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Hand #10 Stox book

[ QUOTE ]
the flop and turn play I think are ok, though jamming the flop is a fine alternative. The river bet a mistake - I agree there.

Once called on the turn the only better hands that might fold the river is 8x with 2 spades but that might not even be in villain's PF 3 betting range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against typical opponents I think raising the flop and taking it from there or just calling down and raising if you hit will both be better strategies than calling the flop and raising the turn.

IMO, when the typical opponent 3bets you preflop OOP and bets the flop and gets called on this particular board, and he yet still bets the turn, his range will be too narrow to make a turn semi-bluff raise strategy +EV compared to the other two strategies I mentioned above.

I have not done any math and I cannot prove what I just said. Just telling you what I think.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thank god people think this hand is bad, I saw this thread and was like wow I guess I suck/ play weak poker, Id never do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same. It is good to see that somebody will point out that the Emperor really has no clothes are we are not all crazy.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thank god people think this hand is bad, I saw this thread and was like wow I guess I suck/ play weak poker, Id never do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same. It is good to see that somebody will point out that the Emperor really has no clothes are we are not all crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stox is not an emperor. He's just a great player who wrote a great book who also has a great website. He's human and fallible and he's never denied that fact. He makes mistakes just like eveyone else does, and unlike many people, he's not afraid to admit when he has made a mistake. The emperor with no clothes analogy doesnt work here.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:07 AM

I have to agree with stox.
A lot of people fire the turn here hoping you have a hand like QJ or JT... I think a turn raise is +EV.

River bet is bad.

I just raise the flop though, I can't see a pair less than QQ continuing..
Old 07-29-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have to agree with stox.
A lot of people fire the turn here hoping you have a hand like QJ or JT... I think a turn raise is +EV.

River bet is bad.

I just raise the flop though, I can't see a pair less than QQ continuing..

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think just calling down and hoping we hit or raising the flop and taking it from there will both make/save more money than a turn semi-bluff raise strategy.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:51 PM

Another problem no one's mentioned yet is that you get 3-bet a lot on the turn here in a very aggro game,. AT+ makes up a decent portion of sb's range when he bets the turn. I wouldn't even rule out a bluff 3-bet if Stox often waits for the turn to raise with hands like A6 here.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:18 PM

Your riverbet is alot more credible if you usually jams draws and you just call the turn like you would with Ax/Kx alot of the time.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stox is not an emperor. He's just a great player who wrote a great book who also has a great website. He's human and fallible and he's never denied that fact. He makes mistakes just like eveyone else does, and unlike many people, he's not afraid to admit when he has made a mistake. The emperor with no clothes analogy doesnt work here.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW: One of the things I like most about the examples in the book is they are clearly not calculated to put Stox' play in the best light. This earns some credibility from me.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The emperor comment is a comment about the crowd, not the emperor. I have great admiration for Stox. The analogy, which thankfully does not fit here, is when a group of people are afraid to be critical or state the obvious about a person held in high esteem for fear that they themselves must somehow be wrong. In the emperor story it takes a child to say what the adults were afraid to.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:40 PM

bah, the last thing you need to worry about on 2p2 is ppl missing an opportunity to bash big names.