Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 07:27 AM

Default BB connundrums in the 100K

Hi all,

Been taking some time away from online poker for awhile to focus on other things and to study/think about my game, but decided to play the 100K last night on Stars. A situation came up that I'm still unclear on the optimal line for.

Stacks: UTG 4.4K
Me: 12K~
Blinds: 200-400 + 20 ante

My image should be tight-aggressive, as my two resteals were not called. That said, UTG seems fairly weak, though not a complete moron, and had mini-raised several times before (albeit when the stacks were deeper). His PokerDB is essentially nonexistent.

About 200 people remain, 120 pay, which obv. doesn't matter to me but may to a lower-stakes player/sat. qualifier?

UTG mini-raises to $800, leaving him with $3600 behind. Everyone folds to me in the BB with AdTd. What's your play, and how do you proceed with the hand? Every line seemed severely flawed to me, and wrought with problems; ATs might be the most annoying hand to hold here.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Re: BB connundrums in the 100K

Min-three-bet....pause...shove-flop.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:01 AM

I shove because I hate miniraises.

But seriously, shove seems okay since he has done it multiple times before. Against someone who normally does not miniraise, this is a fold since it's likely a monster. And again, miniraises are gay so shove.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But seriously, shove seems okay since he has done it multiple times before. Against someone who normally does not miniraise, this is a fold since it's likely a monster. And again, miniraises are gay so shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was how I felt, and shoved. Results are entirely unimportant, as I was unsure throughout on the optimal line. My feeling is that the better move may be to call, and shove any flop that hits us (T high, A high, two diamonds, straight draw), etc, and c/f UI against UTG range. Obviously we're stuck if we're against AK or AQ and the flop comes A high but whatever. Just seems not to be an ideal spot to try to make a move, and a fit-or-fold the flop strategy may be best.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was how I felt, and shoved. Results are entirely unimportant, as I was unsure throughout on the optimal line. My feeling is that the better move may be to call, and shove any flop that hits us (T high, A high, two diamonds, straight draw), etc, and c/f UI against UTG range. Obviously we're stuck if we're against AK or AQ and the flop comes A high but whatever. Just seems not to be an ideal spot to try to make a move, and a fit-or-fold the flop strategy may be best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and I think min raises are gay and they bother me to no end, but this line seems v good.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:47 PM

Yeah i think you got it right, i call and stack off where we flop 2nd pair or better or a draw.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line as well. It's only 1 blinds to call and you're pretty deep. The Minraise UTG is the classic AA move, so if we hit an A high flop, at least AA is much less likely and we're probably best (I doubt AK minraises).

You're getting 4:1. Honestly, I call a A TON of hands getting those odds hoping to stackadonk with AA. Call, speculate, go from there. I don't think it's that big a deal because at worst we're only losing 11 blinds if villian has AA on a Txx flop.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like shoving an A or T flop, especially the A. you just let some donk get away from KK/QQ too easily. I think that I c/r AI on the A or T, and some low flops.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:29 PM

Thanks, guys. Isura, I should rephrase; I meant get all-in on those flops. I would sometimes shove, sometimes c/c or c/r, etc.

Dave, I personally was moderately deep, though nothing incredible, but remember how shallow my opponent was, meaning I'm not really getting implied odds in this spot. I do think that the call and get it in on a flop that hits me. I don't think that c/f'ing most flops after missing is really giving up any equity against his range, right?