Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes MTT (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   BB connundrums in the 100K (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=441849)

AragornX151 07-03-2007 07:27 AM

BB connundrums in the 100K

Hi all,

Been taking some time away from online poker for awhile to focus on other things and to study/think about my game, but decided to play the 100K last night on Stars. A situation came up that I'm still unclear on the optimal line for.

Stacks: UTG 4.4K
Me: 12K~
Blinds: 200-400 + 20 ante

My image should be tight-aggressive, as my two resteals were not called. That said, UTG seems fairly weak, though not a complete moron, and had mini-raised several times before (albeit when the stacks were deeper). His PokerDB is essentially nonexistent.

About 200 people remain, 120 pay, which obv. doesn't matter to me but may to a lower-stakes player/sat. qualifier?

UTG mini-raises to $800, leaving him with $3600 behind. Everyone folds to me in the BB with AdTd. What's your play, and how do you proceed with the hand? Every line seemed severely flawed to me, and wrought with problems; ATs might be the most annoying hand to hold here.

registrar 07-03-2007 10:37 AM

Re: BB connundrums in the 100K

Min-three-bet....pause...shove-flop.

djk123 07-03-2007 11:01 AM

I shove because I hate miniraises.

But seriously, shove seems okay since he has done it multiple times before. Against someone who normally does not miniraise, this is a fold since it's likely a monster. And again, miniraises are gay so shove.

AragornX151 07-03-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But seriously, shove seems okay since he has done it multiple times before. Against someone who normally does not miniraise, this is a fold since it's likely a monster. And again, miniraises are gay so shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was how I felt, and shoved. Results are entirely unimportant, as I was unsure throughout on the optimal line. My feeling is that the better move may be to call, and shove any flop that hits us (T high, A high, two diamonds, straight draw), etc, and c/f UI against UTG range. Obviously we're stuck if we're against AK or AQ and the flop comes A high but whatever. Just seems not to be an ideal spot to try to make a move, and a fit-or-fold the flop strategy may be best.

Mench 07-03-2007 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was how I felt, and shoved. Results are entirely unimportant, as I was unsure throughout on the optimal line. My feeling is that the better move may be to call, and shove any flop that hits us (T high, A high, two diamonds, straight draw), etc, and c/f UI against UTG range. Obviously we're stuck if we're against AK or AQ and the flop comes A high but whatever. Just seems not to be an ideal spot to try to make a move, and a fit-or-fold the flop strategy may be best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and I think min raises are gay and they bother me to no end, but this line seems v good.

ZJ123 07-03-2007 05:47 PM

Yeah i think you got it right, i call and stack off where we flop 2nd pair or better or a draw.

Dave D 07-03-2007 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line as well. It's only 1 blinds to call and you're pretty deep. The Minraise UTG is the classic AA move, so if we hit an A high flop, at least AA is much less likely and we're probably best (I doubt AK minraises).

You're getting 4:1. Honestly, I call a A TON of hands getting those odds hoping to stackadonk with AA. Call, speculate, go from there. I don't think it's that big a deal because at worst we're only losing 11 blinds if villian has AA on a Txx flop.

Isura 07-03-2007 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like shoving an A or T flop, especially the A. you just let some donk get away from KK/QQ too easily. I think that I c/r AI on the A or T, and some low flops.

AragornX151 07-03-2007 09:29 PM

Thanks, guys. Isura, I should rephrase; I meant get all-in on those flops. I would sometimes shove, sometimes c/c or c/r, etc.

Dave, I personally was moderately deep, though nothing incredible, but remember how shallow my opponent was, meaning I'm not really getting implied odds in this spot. I do think that the call and get it in on a flop that hits me. I don't think that c/f'ing most flops after missing is really giving up any equity against his range, right?