Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 01:15 PM

Default A funny thought

If you subscribe to the theory of "the greatest good for the greatest number" then how can you think pro athletes/movie stars/musicians are overpaid?
Old 06-30-2006, 04:55 PM

Default Re: A funny thought

Because what is "good" for society is highly subjective and endlessly debatable.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because what is "good" for society is highly subjective and endlessly debatable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really see how that's relevant. Even the most cursory examination of sports athletes would reveal that they do a very small amount of good for a very large number of people.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really see how that's relevant. Even the most cursory examination of sports athletes would reveal that they do a very small amount of good for a very large number of people.

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone could take the position that, although they do a small amount of good for a large amount of people, the money they are paid could provide more good for more people spent elsewhere. Thus, one could see them as being both "good" and "overpaid."
Old 06-30-2006, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked if they were overpaid. The propriety of their level of payment requires a judgment to be made about the value of the "good" they provide. Every person will place a different value on that "good" depending on one's individual perspective. Your perspective seems to be that athletes do a little good for a lot of people. Others may differ. I dont see what is so unstandard about this.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:22 PM

UMMM...

1) Diminishing marginal utility.
2) The vast majority of highly paid pro athletes would be willing to still be athletes at one/tenth or less of their current wage.

Really obvious.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UMMM...

1) Diminishing marginal utility.
2) The vast majority of highly paid pro athletes would be willing to still be athletes at one/tenth or less of their current wage.

Really obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]\

So boycott pro sports until ticket price drop to 25% of where they are, and cut the athletes pay.

Any discussion of entertainers "pay" vs other "jobs" or societal "good" is ridiculous. If fans are willing to pay the prices, where should the money go..charity?
Old 07-02-2006, 02:59 AM

I'm thinking along the lines of: use it on public goods (etc.) so taxes aren't as high on the less fortunate; a rather progressive tax system.

Not saying that government will do this but it could.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking along the lines of: use it on public goods (etc.) so taxes aren't as high on the less fortunate; a rather progressive tax system.

Not saying that government will do this but it could.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if John Doe who makes $27,000/yr spends his money voluntarily on a pro sports product or service (entertainment), the govt should step in and take it from the entertainer/athlete and return it to the less fortunate like John Doe.

Makes sense if you abhor freedom and want to treat citizens as children. Utopia indeed.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:58 AM

This comment is absurd. The reason they 'voluntarily' spend it on that product to that extent is because not enough people had the luck and privilege to be born with that kind of talent; otherwise it wouldn't cost that much to go to a game (supply, demand). That is, the reason that it costs so much to go to sporting events, and that some people pay while other play, is ENTIRELY BECAUSE OF NON VOLUNTARY REASONS. Nobody would have choosen to be without the talents of a Jordan or a Pujols or a Favre if they had the choice.

You may think the distribution of income, wealth and property and therefore happiness and freedom should be based entirely on luck and privilege but I don't.

THis is about equalization of power and human happiness.

I love freedom. I think people should be equally free.