Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   A funny thought (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=151171)

WillMagic 06-30-2006 01:15 PM

A funny thought

If you subscribe to the theory of "the greatest good for the greatest number" then how can you think pro athletes/movie stars/musicians are overpaid?

JCool 06-30-2006 04:55 PM

Re: A funny thought

Because what is "good" for society is highly subjective and endlessly debatable.

WillMagic 06-30-2006 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because what is "good" for society is highly subjective and endlessly debatable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really see how that's relevant. Even the most cursory examination of sports athletes would reveal that they do a very small amount of good for a very large number of people.

New001 06-30-2006 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really see how that's relevant. Even the most cursory examination of sports athletes would reveal that they do a very small amount of good for a very large number of people.

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone could take the position that, although they do a small amount of good for a large amount of people, the money they are paid could provide more good for more people spent elsewhere. Thus, one could see them as being both "good" and "overpaid."

JCool 06-30-2006 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked if they were overpaid. The propriety of their level of payment requires a judgment to be made about the value of the "good" they provide. Every person will place a different value on that "good" depending on one's individual perspective. Your perspective seems to be that athletes do a little good for a lot of people. Others may differ. I dont see what is so unstandard about this.

Propertarian 07-01-2006 06:22 PM

UMMM...

1) Diminishing marginal utility.
2) The vast majority of highly paid pro athletes would be willing to still be athletes at one/tenth or less of their current wage.

Really obvious.

ShakeZula06 07-01-2006 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you subscribe to the theory of "the greatest good for the greatest number" then how can you think pro athletes/movie stars/musicians are overpaid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are an easy scapegoat if one wants to appeal to the poor during an election year.

Copernicus 07-01-2006 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UMMM...

1) Diminishing marginal utility.
2) The vast majority of highly paid pro athletes would be willing to still be athletes at one/tenth or less of their current wage.

Really obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]\

So boycott pro sports until ticket price drop to 25% of where they are, and cut the athletes pay.

Any discussion of entertainers "pay" vs other "jobs" or societal "good" is ridiculous. If fans are willing to pay the prices, where should the money go..charity?

Propertarian 07-02-2006 02:59 AM

I'm thinking along the lines of: use it on public goods (etc.) so taxes aren't as high on the less fortunate; a rather progressive tax system.

Not saying that government will do this but it could.

Ed Miller 07-02-2006 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you subscribe to the theory of "the greatest good for the greatest number"

[/ QUOTE ]

That's so 19th Century.