Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Can the police view a restricted number?

Insurance companies and other similar industries can also see your blocked number when you call.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:41 PM

Yeesh, you really think the phone companies are going to setup a system that makes it that easy to make truly annonymous calls? Or that the government and police would let them?

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat...identification
Old 06-05-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As for the collection agency, they get it from your credit info so whatever you put on your banking and credit card applications, they have it, including updates.

Creditors don't sue unless it's $150K or more; they sell these accounts to agencies at pennies on the dollar and they're done with it. They don't want to hear about it after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your average credit report of a person in collections is pretty useless for contact information. It's invaluable for use as ammunition when you DO find the guy.

And your $150k claim is absolutely ridiculous. Having worked in the collection industry for several years, I can say with certainty that you're going to get sued by many companies for a LOT less than $150,000.00

In fact, you're even more likely to get sued if it's less than $5000.00. At that point, all it takes to sue you is $50 and a trip to the courthouse. Small claims judgements are handed out left and right. Collection is not hard if you're willing to fill out more paperwork.

When I did it, we'd just line up 50 small claims cases on the same day at the same time. You'd go into court with your files, and wait for your name to be called. They usually do it in alphabetical order, so they'll call all 50 of your cases at the same time, and give the defendant 10 seconds or so to announce themselves, if they don't it gets rubber stamped and there is a judgement against them. I only had the other guy actually show up ONCE. And then they just schedule another hearing for everyone to bring in the "facts" for their side of the story.

Now, in order to sue someone, you have to have their address, so this does only work if you have an excellent skip tracing department.

But with the internet and the WEALTH of information available to the public, skip tracing is easy as pie these days. Like someone said, the only way you can guarantee you can't be found is to never sign a document, and use a pre-paid cell phone that you pay for in cash. You also have to make sure the government doesn't know where to find you. But since most of the deadbeats are on public assistance in some way shape or form, that's usually not the case.

Playing dead does help. And if it's less than a few hundred bucks they'll probably just leave you alone and put the collection on your credit report and hope you have to apply for some financing in the future. At which point just about any lending instution will require that you pay the collection and obtain a PIF letter.

Also, most collection agencies don't just buy the accounts "for pennies on the dollar". They get data feeds from their clients with all the debtor info on them, and go after you for 100% of the balance you owe. If they collect the money, they just take a cut.

So in most cases you won't be helping yourself by waiting until it's in collections and then trying to bargain your debt down to %50 or whatever. It's amazing how many people try that though. Spouting the exact same nonsense you are: "You only paid a few pennies on the dollar for this account, so just take 50% and we'll call it even!"

Sure, I'll take your 50% now, and you'll be sending the other %50 next week then? Great.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeesh, you really think the phone companies are going to setup a system that makes it that easy to make truly annonymous calls? Or that the government and police would let them?

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat...identification

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is a *60-something number you can press after you receive an unwanted call from a restricted number. It costs $5 in Toronto. You must call the cops immediately after and they log the number. It happened to me last year. The cops will trace the number. They won't tell you the number, but you can press charges against the caller if the nature of the call warrants it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Save this thread with stalker/death threat trip report!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Not quite death threats. Every night for about a week I got a phone call at 2am, and every night the guy said the same thing. "Please let me suck your dick and your toes." (WTF?) He'd say that around 3 times and then just sit on the phone breathing heavy. It was more of a nuisance than anything else until he actually used my name. That pissed me off and scared me (I have a family to think about) so I called the cops. They traced the number and I pressed charges. I still haven't heard the outcome, but he hasn't called since.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit pretending you didn't consider his offer for a second [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]