Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Possible Leak? Calling all ins with AK

Yea diebitter most of the time i call off im racing , up against a weaker ace, even then still get sucked out on at times. I usually always call but im starting to think i could get in better +EV spots against fish instead of playin 45-55 with em or at best 60/40.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:22 PM

I see SSers pushing with crap like JTs. And they limp preflop with stuff like that too. It's like they have no idea at all, seriously.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea diebitter most of the time i call off im racing , up against a weaker ace, even then still get sucked out on at times. I usually always call but im starting to think i could get in better +EV spots against fish instead of playin 45-55 with em or at best 60/40.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against weaker aces is 70/30 no? Either way I would have to agree that starting at 50 and up you don't see many weak aces except AQ played that hard by the shortstacks, I'm often surprised to see a 99 and thats still a coinflip. At 25 (and obv lower) I think that shoving AK can be profitable, there are nits that will claim they are laying down JJ and even QQ at those levels, and I was often called by A9s+, however the EV gained by this can't be very significant so if you want to avoid the extra variance you should just wait for better spots to get your money in.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're operating with BR restrictions the concept of waiting for better +EV spots in cash games is unequivocally -EV. I'm not saying calling an EP push with AK is +EV, just commenting on the truism:

+EV = +EV

Edit: I suppose the situation could change also if you suspect the villain is rat holing.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to a fish

[/ QUOTE ]

This really isn't very helpful. What would be more helpful would be to put the "fish" on a range of hands for his action preflop.

Once you have a hand range for this move by this player, then you can enter the range into PokerStove at home. Run that hand against AK. Once you know your hand equity, then calculate the pot odds of callling. If the pot odds are paying more than the risk you take according to the equity calculation, then call. If not, then fold. It's really just an EV calculation.

For example, if you have 3:2 pot odds (1.5:1) to call an all-in preflop with AK, and you have 45% (1.22:1) equity against his range, then call. You are marginally positive EV versus his range.

But, if he's over eager with his push preflop and there wasn't anything in the pot already except the blinds, then you would only have 1:1 pot odds after the rake. So, now you should fold with your 45% equity because it's -EV.

In each case, it's really just a question of equity vs pot odds.

At the table you obviously don't have PokerStove. So, run some examples at home until you know the equity against various forms of "fish" that you describe. Then calculate the pot odds and make a decision based on your estimated expected value.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:14 AM

Basically when i am calling a all in i feel like it is -ev for me because when i do call, most of the time a 40-50 BB stack will end up having a PP, which AK is a under dog to. Most of these players i could find a better spot to get my money in so thats why i was just wondering if CALLING a all in could be a possible leak.

Thanks for the help
Old 08-10-2007, 10:19 AM

You really need to get pokerstove. Basically you're right, if they are mostly open pushing with PP for 40-50 BB you can't call profitably with AK. Are people really open pushing this much?

If they have some non-PP hands like AQ etc. then things will get more interesting. For the exact details play around with pokerstove and see what ranges AK will stack up favorably against.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:21 AM

Like most situations, it depends. Most of the time I'd rather not go into a hand being a slight underdog with a high possiblity, espeically against a short stacker who will at some point probably give his chips away anyway. But on the other hand, a short stacker could easily have AQ, AJ or even worse sometimes.