Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Stud hi 883 ante steal - when do I dump this rag hand?

Excellent analysis sir! TYVM.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:40 AM

I think the third-street raise is pretty automatic. The other guy's raise on fourth street probably means two pair or a pocket pair larger than Eights. On fifth, there are two Eights, three Aces, a King, and runner-runner clubs which will give you a likely winner. I think you have enough hand to call on fifth. You might even consider betting or check-raising as a semi-bluff, depending on whether the other guy is capable of laying down a hand. On the river, the pot's small enough that even I probably wouldn't try to catch a bluff.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the third-street raise is pretty automatic. The other guy's raise on fourth street probably means two pair or a pocket pair larger than Eights. On fifth, there are two Eights, three Aces, a King, and runner-runner clubs which will give you a likely winner. I think you have enough hand to call on fifth. You might even consider betting or check-raising as a semi-bluff, depending on whether the other guy is capable of laying down a hand. On the river, the pot's small enough that even I probably wouldn't try to catch a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy, your advise is right on the money. The ONLY situation in which I could imagine semi-bluff raising or check raising 5th or 6th, is if I caught a heart on 6th. In the case I would check, hoping to get a free card and if that fails check raise (an bluff the river unimproved if called on 6th). The only type of opponent that you can do this check raise against is one that is agressive enough to bet 1 big pair vs. a possible flush AND who is disiplined enough to laydown one big pair to a check raise on 6th or jacks up to a bet on the river. I have never played with a player like that below $75/$150 and even at that level I can only think of about 4 or 5 players capable of such agro value bets combined with such delicate laydowns.

Regards,
Carlos
Old 05-31-2007, 04:58 AM

how seat 8 plays, tight or loose?