Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: NL10 - Flopped nuts - trying to extract maximum value.

Fold preflop.

Why do you not three bet on the flop? There is a flush draw out there, CO is already AI and MP2 really seems to like his hand as he called two raises PF and two on the flop as well. Plus he has like only 4.50 behind, I think he'll have a hard time folding even when you three bet here...
Old 11-03-2007, 06:22 PM

You shouldn't open-raise UTG with KQo. Start there.

You certainly shouldn't call a 3-bet. You're out of position with a really marginal hand. Catching a K will get you broke far more often than it will help you. So unless you have some sort of A+ read you can bust a guy if you catch top pair, fold up shop.

There is one caveat here. If you were heads up with the CO, you could think about sticking it all in here and playing for his 20BB stack. You hand might be good enough for that. In general, he's going to show up with an A or a pair if he's half way competant at which point you aren't getting the money to play. But, lots of low limit short stackers are awful and will show up with hands which KQ does pretty well against. That's not the case in this hand, so fold.

On the turn, I'd bet enough to put MP2 all-in. He really doesn't have all that much left at this point compared with the pot. He'll either call it or he won't.

As with the last hand you posted, look for reasons not to play hands in the early positions. You're going to be playing OOP the whole hand, so you need hands that play well independent of position. Pocket pairs, big suited A's, that's about the end of the list. When you expand your range, do it when you'll be in position. It's an enormous advantage.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:31 PM

This is NL10 after all so folding preflop isn't the only right choice. I've tried several different strategies in microlevels and you can even make money with vp$ip 70% if you know how to play postflop since players at these levels are so bad and they payoff good hits well. A friend of mine who dominates NL400-NL1k also tried to play microstakes as loosely as possible and he approved this strategy as an option for ultra tagish play.

So playing with KQo from the utg is not a crime although I would recommend you to fold it or just limp in and call a raise if youre not good at postflop. It has a lot of potential if flop comes something like this and most of the times you double up through TJ, AA etc.

But i would definitely 3-bet the flop. Theres a flush draw and CO goes all-in and MP2 looks like he likes his hand. 3-bet the flop and push the turn and youre doing fine, you could also push the flop since you get easily called with QJ, KJ, AJ, JT. The fact that MP2 is being passive doesnt necessarily mean hes weak and refuses to go all-in on the flop.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

Why do you not three bet on the flop? There is a flush draw out there, CO is already AI and MP2 really seems to like his hand as he called two raises PF and two on the flop as well. Plus he has like only 4.50 behind, I think he'll have a hard time folding even when you three bet here...

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't 3 bet it because CO's raise all in was for less than my original bet and Stars didn't give me the option.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:38 PM

I agree that you can do very well at the micro limits playing loosely if you are a very strong post-flop player. Most players getting started at NL10 aren't excellent post-flop players. So I would lean towards folding this kind of hand until you are an excellent post flop player. Like all things, establish excellence in the basics and then move on to the advanced maneuvers.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't 3 bet it because CO's raise all in was for less than my original bet and Stars didn't give me the option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Allright, that's good to know! Strange thing though. Just push the turn then...