Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 PM

Default NFL history into a Serie system

I love how Europe has the Series system for soccer. So what I'm going to try and do is look at the NFL(standing-wise) if it ran on that type of system.

Basically, I'll take the 1st NFL(1966*) season and use the records(not counting playoffs) and form (with AFL and NFL) 3 series of eight teams from that to begin with.

Once it's split in 3, then if you're in the top 3 of the bottom at the end of the season(only reg season games count) you move up while the bottom 3 of the one above move down.

Any new teams start at the lowest series. Once enough teams are in the league a new series would form(becoming the bottom serie) until we have 4 eight team series that would be there today.

Teams moving would still keep their place in a serie. Only new teams would start in the lower one. For instance, since the Ravens are from Cleve, they'd keep their standing while the new Cleve team would come in as a new team.

Obviously, the games/stats/standing part of it won't be quite accurate since their schedules would obviously be different if they played in this format than the ones being accounted for, but it should still be interesting.

Any ideas to make this experiment bit better are welcome.

* I'm starting it there(1966) since that's when the crossover was. I don't think going back farther would do much. However, it might be better to do it once they combined in 1970. Thoughts on that also appreciated.

b