Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2007, 02:05 AM

Default WSOP Rules / Dead Hand / Gross Day 4 spot with JJ

Villian is some dude decked out in Ohio State gear. He keeps telling everyone how it is his first live tournament and he was shooting for 540k at day end and that he was just happy to be here. He is a nit and not playing a lot of hands, but did call off almost all his stack with 88 in the BB when button shoved earlier. He has open folded AJo a few times against a raise saying "I know all you guys would be going in with this," essentially he is a totally predictable player.

OSU Fan opens for 100k @ 4k/8k/1k ante in MP1 (he has 500k stack)
My initial read is that this gross overbet obviously isn't AA or KK, the initial thought before looking at my cards is that it is 88-QQ, AK, maybe AQs. I am in BB and see two red Jacks and make him count out his stack and jam for 560k and he tanks. The way I see it I can't really flat this in the BB so it becomes a fold/jam situation. Seeing how nitty he is makes this move a double edged sword, on the one hand he is going to fold a LOT of hands here (including AK imo) but his range is also pretty tight.

Anyhoo, I don't think there is much debate on the line, but my real question is something I realized on the flight home. It is my impression that at this year's WSOP there was a rule where you couldn't say your actual hand before making an action to get a read. If you did your hand would be dead. Is this correct?

Back to the action...
After my jam the villian sits back and starts talking saying "I have the 3rd best hand, I don't know if I can fold, I have the 3rd best hand." After saying this he called and flipped up his hand. Does this constitute breaking that rule? If I would have not flipped my cards and called the floor would I have had a case?

It's all a moot point anyway as even if I knew about said rule I doubt I would want to hose someone out of the WSOP on such a silly infraction, but I am just curious if this was technically "against the WSOP's rules"
~J