Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Worst Gambling loss against the spread in your life.

[ QUOTE ]
I think it was the steelers vs some random AFC team and the steelers were lining up to kick a game tying or winning FG. Either way, the steelers were going to cover. Well the kick gets blocked and returned for a TD and i am ready to puke. There have been worse, but that was my most memorable.

[/ QUOTE ]

primetime, if I'm thinking about the same game that was in 96 or 97 against Jacksonville. I remember because I had a small parlay on Jacksonville and the over and that blocked FG and return gave me the win.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:46 PM

Not a loss, but....

Had over 6 1/2 goals in a Bruins playoff game. Score was 3-3 in the third period, so I circled it as a win.

But this was in the old Boston Garden, and all the power went out and they couldn't get the lights back on.

Game was canceled and played over the next day.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was on the winning side of it - but the Chris Duhon half-court shot at the buzzer to cover the spread vs UConn in the Final Four was pretty strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lost both this and the 13-pt win in overtime PAC-10 game earlier.

But the worst in terms of $$$ not involving the spread would have been the final TD by the Eagles in the SB costing me 1st prize in a $500-a-box pool, I had 4-4 and the prize was 70%. [5-20-5-70 at Reuters.]

That was a travishamockery.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:35 PM

About 18 yrs ago, I had NY Giants -3.5 as the final leg of a 4-game parlay that also involved baseball. The 3 baseball games all were won in the 9th inning, and the Giants had the 49ers down by 4 with time for only one more play. 49ers were 70 yds away. Idiot cornerback lines up 1 ft away from Jerry Rice. Rice blows by cornerback and scores an easy TD.

Best win was Tennessee's miracle kickoff return (against Buffalo?) in the playoffs.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a bunch of classic ones that get posted all the time. Robin Ventura's grand slam single is a famous one, since that kept the game from going over.

Two of the other famous ones: One game involving New England and some other AFC East team where the one team was annoyed at a referee's call and refused to bring out their team to defend the extra point. The kicking team just picked the ball up and walked into the end zone for the two point conversion. Another game the first year of the year college OT system involving some PAC 10 team. The dog was something like +9.5 or +11. The favored team got the ball first and scored. The dog gets the ball, throws an interception which is returned by the defense for a TD, an the favorite wins by 13 in overtime.

Somebody else can probably fill in the details but I got the gist of these right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha I was at that game vs Buffalo. Adam Vinitiera ran in the 2 pt conversion. There was pass int the last play of the game and then bledsoe to Coates. Pats win
Old 10-25-2006, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another game the first year of the year college OT system involving some PAC 10 team. The dog was something like +9.5 or +11. The favored team got the ball first and scored. The dog gets the ball, throws an interception which is returned by the defense for a TD, an the favorite wins by 13 in overtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to post this one. It was UCLA vs. somebody and boy did that suck!

On the flip side I had Penn St vs BYU in the Holiday Bowl years ago. Lions comfortably ahead when BYU scores with seconds to play for the back door cover by 1 point. Except Penn St blocks the extra point attempt and runs it back for 2 points and all is right with the world again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2006, 11:40 PM

I'm sure it was probably mentioned here when it happened, but that OSU/PSU game last month was pretty brutal. Penn State, getting 17, is down by 8 with the ball at midfield, 2:30 left in the game. They can even afford to fade a pick-6 and still cover. In fact, pretty much the only way they don't cover is to give up *two* pick-6s, as OSU can run the clock out if they get the ball on offense.

Well, we all know what happened.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:01 AM

Awesome thread! This probably doesn't fall under the "amazingly horrendous beat" category like the rest of you guys, but it sticks out for me b/c it was the most money I've ever lost on one game.

It was May 20th of this year and I bet on the Mets at home against the Yankees. The line is way too low for Martinez, so I'm loaded up on the Mets money line (IIRC, 1500 at like -130) and a bunch more on the runline (IIRC, 500 at like +165). Mets jump out to a 4-0 lead. Pedro is insane: goes 7 strong, strikes out 8, and doesn't even allow a runner past second base. Duaner Sanchez comes in and gets through the 8th on 6 pitches!

So what does Willie Randolph do? Brings in Billy Wagner into the non-save situation. He was barely warmed up and had this "WTF??? I have to pitch today??" look on his face.

So of course Wagner gives up two hits, three walks, and hits a guy with the bases loaded. Then the Mets fail to turn an inning-ending double play on a ground ball right to the second baseman. Four runs later, the game is going into extras and the Yankees win it in the 11th.

edit: sorry, just realized this doesn't fit with the theme of point spreads. oh well, I think it's a fun story anyway...
Old 10-26-2006, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another game the first year of the year college OT system involving some PAC 10 team. The dog was something like +9.5 or +11. The favored team got the ball first and scored. The dog gets the ball, throws an interception which is returned by the defense for a TD, an the favorite wins by 13 in overtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to post this one. It was UCLA vs. somebody and boy did that suck!

On the flip side I had Penn St vs BYU in the Holiday Bowl years ago. Lions comfortably ahead when BYU scores with seconds to play for the back door cover by 1 point. Except Penn St blocks the extra point attempt and runs it back for 2 points and all is right with the world again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anyone remember exactly what year this was and confirm this? I've been wondering if anything like this has ever happened in college football. I call this my "Overtime Scenario".
Old 10-26-2006, 01:12 AM

somewhat related:
I didn't answer my phone at 11AM this morning. I found out this evening that the other end of that call was front row tickets along the 3rd base line for game 4 of the world series. I've been sick to my stomach ever since. I'll always regret not answering the goddamn phone.