Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Celtics let go of Telfair

[ QUOTE ]
Telfair just makes me believe even more that the NBA needs to set up a minor league program with the NBDL. What exactly is preventing them from doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

How many quality players have come from the NBDL? 0?

There is a minor leagues, it's called college.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
basically,

the contract swap was Raef Lafrentz (who had four years left) versus theo ratliff (who had two years left and is expiring at the end of next year).

if danny can turn theo's contract + young pieces into an all-star next year, i still say it's worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon now. That's just silly. Brandon Roy will still be an indentured servant in two years, and just what young pieces that the Celtics don't want to keep is Ainge supposed to package with Ratliff for "an all-star".
Old 04-24-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
basically,

the contract swap was Raef Lafrentz (who had four years left) versus theo ratliff (who had two years left and is expiring at the end of next year).

if danny can turn theo's contract + young pieces into an all-star next year, i still say it's worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon now. That's just silly. Brandon Roy will still be an indentured servant in two years, and just what young pieces that the Celtics don't want to keep is Ainge supposed to package with Ratliff for "an all-star".

[/ QUOTE ]

The Celtics have plenty of young (and cheap) talent -Perkins, Rondo, Allen, Ray, Powe, Green, West, Gomes - that other teams around the league would like to have. Plus dumping an older player (with a few years left on his contract) for Ratliff's expiring contract would be quite appealing to many teams. Moving one or two of those players plus Ratliff isn't that big of a stretch. For example, Seattle has been rumored to be trying to move Ray Allen. Not saying it will happen, just giving it as an example. That being said, I would much rather have Roy than the unknown player in this scenario.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
basically,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Celtics have plenty of young (and cheap) talent -Perkins, Rondo, Allen, Ray, Powe, Green, West, Gomes - that other teams around the league would like to have. Plus dumping an older player (with a few years left on his contract) for Ratliff's expiring contract would be quite appealing to many teams. Moving one or two of those players plus Ratliff isn't that big of a stretch. For example, Seattle has been rumored to be trying to move Ray Allen. Not saying it will happen, just giving it as an example. That being said, I would much rather have Roy than the unknown player in this scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Celtics won't trade Green til they know he's a bust. They will resign Jefferson at any cost. The rest of those kids, while nice, are essentially all role players. Perkins has some remote chance of developing still, but the window is closing and he's another that will be viewed as a prayer, not an asset, if the Celtics were willing to move him. You may get one year of $20m Jason Kidd or some other about to die guy, yeah, but why do that with a team that is years away from serious contention. But a legit all-star? No way.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:07 PM

No, they won't get a "in his prime superstar", but they could get a really quality player with a couple of good years left. I'm not saying it was a good strategy, but I do agree that it is the only way to get something good out of trading away Roy. If they let Ratliff leave without trading him and hang on to all of these kids, then letting Roy becomes monumentally stupid as opposed to just plain dumb.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know, I don't want to make excuses for him, but he was driving in Yonkers with an expensive SUV at 21. Wouldn't you be packing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you had already been suspended once for traveling with a gun, and were under investigation for the shooting of a rapper right after his posse stole your jewelry. Maybe Telfair should have been holed up somewhere safe, working on his game. From what I've seen, he needs to learn how to shoot, defend, and follow instructions.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lololololol. If Isiah actually signs him...wow just wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can Isiah resist a highly touted, too short, point guard who can't play D? I bet he's trying to offer the celtics a #1 for him right now...
Old 04-24-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Telfair just makes me believe even more that the NBA needs to set up a minor league program with the NBDL. What exactly is preventing them from doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

How many quality players have come from the NBDL? 0?

There is a minor leagues, it's called college.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're agreeing with me but you don't even know it. The reason that zero quality players have come from the NBDL is because teams can't send players down there without risking losing them to another team. If they could, then the NBDL would be a lot better, we would get to watch young stars flourish in the NBDL instead of sit on the bench in the NBA, and most importantly it would greatly help the players.

College doesn't pay the players any money, so financially it doesn't make sense for them. Under my proposal, they would be signed to an NBA contract and making the same money, but they'd be playing in the NBDL(note that every player in the NBDL wouldn't belong to an NBA team or have an NBA contract though).
Old 04-24-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Frankly I think he's getting a bum deal with this weapons charge thing. I know he's had trouble with the law before, but I don't think it's dumb for most NBA guys to carry a piece. Pierce nearly got stabbed to death and has reported that he's been followed on his way home from games.

[/ QUOTE ]

There would be no reason that Pierce couldn't get a concealed carry permit, and a waiver of team rules on gun possession, esp. because of these issues.

Telfair didn't have any permit, was busted for carrying one on a plane, was told never to carry a gun, knew it was team policy for no player to carry a gun, and still did it again. Do you think he really tried to get a permit or team permission?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, they won't get a "in his prime superstar", but they could get a really quality player with a couple of good years left. I'm not saying it was a good strategy, but I do agree that it is the only way to get something good out of trading away Roy. If they let Ratliff leave without trading him and hang on to all of these kids, then letting Roy becomes monumentally stupid as opposed to just plain dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

ratliff sucks. there's no team in the league that wants him. perk > ratliff.