Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Re: The resteal is coming, what is my range?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hmmm, well assuming your standard raise is 30k at this level,you'd be getting like 1.35:1 if he pushes. So we need like 43% equity to call.

This hand is so read dependent because if you put him on a range like 22+,A2s+,KTs+,QJs,A2o+,KJo+, we can raise/call such a big range, like 22+,a5s+,a7o+,kjs+

i've lived in maryland all my life, but going to Villanova next year. will be fun

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa there partner, chip EV definitely doesn't equal actual EV when you are 2 from the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh i didnt realize how many are left. i suppose it does make a difference, but not a big one. and i wasn't saying that I would raise/call that loose either. i'm not really sure what i would do.

The whole "tell" op says he might have picked up kinda throws me off. My normal play here if i feel like someone is prone to resteal me would be to raise almost any pair, maybe a8 or a9 +, kq and call their shove. If i picked up some live tell that he had a hand he liked, I guess I would tighten my opening range a lot, but i wouldn't trust my read that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

On bubble like this, I suspect its much much better to just go allin with A8 than raise and call an allin, because they can call with very few hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. When we've been raising a guy's BB a lot and he is becoming annoyed, I like a raise to induce the resteal here a lot better. Ax hands below a8 might shove, but if we outright shove most of those hands go into the muck. Either way mid pairs are playing
Old 07-08-2007, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hmmm, well assuming your standard raise is 30k at this level,you'd be getting like 1.35:1 if he pushes. So we need like 43% equity to call.

This hand is so read dependent because if you put him on a range like 22+,A2s+,KTs+,QJs,A2o+,KJo+, we can raise/call such a big range, like 22+,a5s+,a7o+,kjs+

i've lived in maryland all my life, but going to Villanova next year. will be fun

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa there partner, chip EV definitely doesn't equal actual EV when you are 2 from the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh i didnt realize how many are left. i suppose it does make a difference, but not a big one. and i wasn't saying that I would raise/call that loose either. i'm not really sure what i would do.

The whole "tell" op says he might have picked up kinda throws me off. My normal play here if i feel like someone is prone to resteal me would be to raise almost any pair, maybe a8 or a9 +, kq and call their shove. If i picked up some live tell that he had a hand he liked, I guess I would tighten my opening range a lot, but i wouldn't trust my read that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

On bubble like this, I suspect its much much better to just go allin with A8 than raise and call an allin, because they can call with very few hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. When we've been raising a guy's BB a lot and he is becoming annoyed, I like a raise to induce the resteal here a lot better. Ax hands below a8 might shove, but if we outright shove most of those hands go into the muck. Either way mid pairs are playing

[/ QUOTE ]

you probably dont want to race 97s here on a bubble against one of the few people who can bust you, when compared to just taking the chips, not to mention that if you push he can't really call with smallish pairs, and who knows if the guy is going to call 200+k with freaking A9, A8, AT etc.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:24 AM

The structure was pretty typical. I think about 2k for 11th, up 500-1000$ per spot, til 7th, then pretty standard, with 1st 40-50kish.

Curtains touched on the point I hoped we would get to. Given the tournament factors, a lot of hands that would be +CEV to raise-call, make you more money open pushing. I think A8-A9 are close, since I suspect he jams any Ace, they are dominant a decent amount. Low-Mid pairs, probably do better jamming.

Anyway. My read was correct. I raised to 30k, he stared me down for 1 second, and gave the over-dramatic "ALL IN"

I beat him into the middle with TT. The look on his face, and him muttering "oh my god" was almost worth him hitting his A on the turn (A2o). Since this is a local thread, you guys might appreciate how long of drive home that was (14 hours of play, and I had been up until 5am the night before playing a super)
Old 07-08-2007, 06:07 AM

So the USPC is going on right now?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The USPC has started already??? I thought it was always in September?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
TD, this is from the event in September, I was feeling left out of the WSOP talk, so I had to dig into the crates.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
So the USPC is going on right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, sorry you missed it.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:35 PM

Ahh didn't see that earlier in the thread, whoops.