Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Goin to Tokyo, any recommendations?

Try the sushi.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:14 PM

Has anyone suggested screwing as many Japanesse chicks as possible?

This should be at the top of the list.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think its assumed i'll try to meet the nice local girls, from what i've read so far though the social structure is very traditional, and surely no mainstream travel guide is gonna tell me how to work around that with local girls. it just says japanese girls are really shy especially physically and are not very open to strangers. i'll give it a go and tell you what happens.

suggestions?
Old 07-17-2006, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think its assumed i'll try to meet the nice local girls, from what i've read so far though the social structure is very traditional, and surely no mainstream travel guide is gonna tell me how to work around that with local girls. it just says japanese girls are really shy especially physically and are not very open to strangers. i'll give it a go and tell you what happens.

suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring used Levi jeans with you. They will eat them (and you) up.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just in Tokyo for 5 days and didn't really like it all too much. The people are very polite but not really personable. No one really speaks English, and we didn't want to hang out in the Roppongi area where all the ex-pats go. I enjoyed every other part of Asia that I have been to except Tokyo. An added penalty is that cabs and basically everything else is expensive.

The clubs in Shibuya were ok, but drinks are just too expensive and the nightlife was pretty dead since we were there only for weekdays and the World Cup was going on. It is fun just going up to girls and speaking English to them and seeing if they react favorably. Even if a girl doesn't want to talk to you she will be very polite about it. The girls are very shy, even at clubs(moreso at local clubs) and especially to foreigners.

Andy's suggestion about the fish market is excellent. You have to get up pretty early, though. The temples in the city are cool, one has a interesting outdoor market nearby. You will also be bombarded in Shinjuku by African men trying to get you to go into 'hostess bars'. This can get very pricey. Do not be swayed if you do not have the money.

DN
Old 07-17-2006, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring used Levi jeans with you. They will eat them (and you) up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless there's been a sea change in culture (I was there in 2000 and 2001), this isn't accurate. I think you're thinking of eastern Europe. Tokyo is more metropolitan than New York, and unless used Levi's are the current haute fashion, they aren't much good.

420: the below assumes this is your first time in Japan. I've written it for someone without any experience there. If you have prior experience there, that should govern.

Prepare to have a lot of yen on you all the time, as your credit cards may or may not work - ATMs are available, but not nearly as common as in the U.S., and of course, they may not display English, especially as you leave central Tokyo. I recommend carrying a minimum of Y50000 ($550-$600, I don't know the current exchange rate) onto the plane you will land in Japan in. You do NOT want to run out of money.

Are you flying into Narita, or coming from somewhere else in Japan? Narita is a very nice airport, but DO NOT take a taxicab into Tokyo. It will be very long and expensive. Consider the buses (maybe Y4000 if I remember correctly), or maybe they have a train now.

Also, English is fairly common in Tokyo itself, and perhaps Osaka (haven't been there), but as you depart central Tokyo, you will see and hear less and less.

Bear in mind that the Japanese as a culture are the most xenophobic people on Earth. Watch "Lost in Translation" on the plane. Coppola's experience, as conveyed in the film, is pretty accurate, but remember she was VIP while she was there, and you are (probably) not.

Is your friend currently in Tokyo? Does he speak fluent Japanese? If so, he is your new best friend.

That said, I loved it. It's expensive. Enjoy!
Old 07-17-2006, 07:41 PM

Watch out for this guy:

Old 07-17-2006, 08:28 PM

There will be vending machines everywhere, vending all kinds of stuff. Try them.

If you like sushi, you probably shouldn't try the sushi in Japan, because then you'll be sad every time you have to eat sushi outside of Japan. The quality is that different.

Go to a neighborhood noodleshop, and sluuuurp away. Great experience.

Go to a pachinko parlor and try your luck. They make great souvenirs, too.

The 100 Yen (dollar stores, basically) stores rule.

When you enter your first store, you are going to get yelled at. Don't worry, you didn't do anything wrong. They are yelling "Irrashaimase!" which means "welcome".

enjoy!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:23 AM

bump
Old 07-18-2006, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Watch out for this guy:

[/ QUOTE ]

nice