Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Goin to Tokyo, any recommendations? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=163923)

its420yo 07-17-2006 02:52 PM

Goin to Tokyo, any recommendations?

I'm going to Japan for a little while and I have 4 days of free time in Tokyo by myself. Does anyone who has been there have any suggestions on what to see/do? thx

relevant information about myself:
I'm a 22 year old guy, university student with some disposable income.
I dont know any Japanese but I hear they all speak English over there anyways

raze 07-17-2006 02:57 PM

Re: Goin to Tokyo, any recommendations?

Never been, but I'm very interested in visiting as well. When are you leaving? Trip report would be much appreciated =)

its420yo 07-17-2006 03:07 PM

leaving tomorrow actually, so far the plans might include going to visit the yakusuni shrine(to see what the fuss is about), eat some local sushi/raw beef, run game on the unsuspecting local girls, watch a pride fight live and check out these image clubs my friend was telling me about (apparently its like a big whore house but its like role play so you cant just go in and [censored] the girl you have to act in a film for like 4 hours).

The goal is to try to pack 3 full days of adventure. I'll try to do up a trip report, any recommendations would make that more colorful.

sushijerk 07-17-2006 03:09 PM

Buy a Frommers/Lonely Planet guide to Tokyo.

TiK 07-17-2006 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I dont know any Japanese but I hear they all speak English over there anyways

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they TRY to speak English. I don't know if you've ever heard a Japanese person attempt English. It's not pretty. At least bring along a little phrasebook of some sorts.

Fedfan691 07-17-2006 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
leaving tomorrow actually, so far the plans might include going to visit the yakusuni shrine(to see what the fuss is about), eat some local sushi/raw beef, run game on the unsuspecting local girls, watch a pride fight live and check out these image clubs my friend was telling me about (apparently its like a big whore house but its like role play so you cant just go in and [censored] the girl you have to act in a film for like 4 hours).

The goal is to try to pack 3 full days of adventure. I'll try to do up a trip report, any recommendations would make that more colorful.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like it would make a sick trip report.

kokiri 07-17-2006 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

long asakusa/ short yasukuni
shibuya by day, shinjuku by night
raw chicken > raw horse > raw beef
tsukiji in the morning for sushi.

Grumbo 07-17-2006 05:29 PM

Yasakuni Shrine in probably not too exciting for you. Cool areas to check out are Akihabara (for the electronics), Shibuya (for the fashionable girls) and Shinjuku (for the stores and clubs).

I wouldn't assume most people speak English. If you have trouble, look out for high school- or college- aged people as they are likely to have had some English classes in school.

As for any adult entertainment, that might be a problem. Almost all of those places do not allow foreigners inside as they are worried about AIDS. It is totally legal to discriminate against foreigners over there.

its420yo 07-17-2006 06:58 PM

i just went and bought frommer's tokyo guide in my last minute binge shopping. looks like there's a ton of stuff to see. there's a heavy emphasis on japanese traditional shows temple style. I want to go to traditional japanese neighbourhoods and check out the scene, if there's time i'll go leave town for a day and find some local hut by the ocean to sleep in with some local ppl in some small town.

that foreigner discrimation for adult entertainment might be a problem but its optional, i'll certainly look around.\

i'm a huge food fan, kokiri is there a preference in where to go or are just all restaurants equally good?

andyfox 07-17-2006 07:10 PM

Tsukiji: You'll probably be up real early your first day, so by all means go to Tsukiji fish market. Lots of fun. Wear old shoes, you'll be trekking throught water and fish innards. There are good sushi and noodle shops right there for breakfast. Everyone I've sent there loved the visit.