Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: routine?

If you're playing in a game with good enough observant players if the thought of folding to a 4-bet ever crosses your mind, the play is to call the turn raise. Sure even if he has a set this time, if the whole table sees you 3-bet and fold to a 4-bet, that's the type of thing that your expert players will start exploiting -- therefore forcing you to only 3-bet with the nuts in the future, or else forcing you to make very light call downs to make sure people aren't starting to take shots at you. There are a lot of players who the ol' "4-betting for a free showdown" works very well against, because it might get them to fold a better hand, and they rarely 5-bet or lead into you again on the river.

I'd rather have an unbluffable image so that way people will sometimes raise me light on the turn (expecting me to call down lightly), therefore meaning I can 3-bet them lightly and get even more value.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:37 PM

"ok, a guy whos a little laggy just cold calls an utg raiser....btw in the hand mentioned the dude had 77"

your read is off.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're playing in a game with good enough observant players if the thought of folding to a 4-bet ever crosses your mind, the play is to call the turn raise. Sure even if he has a set this time, if the whole table sees you 3-bet and fold to a 4-bet, that's the type of thing that your expert players will start exploiting -- therefore forcing you to only 3-bet with the nuts in the future, or else forcing you to make very light call downs to make sure people aren't starting to take shots at you. There are a lot of players who the ol' "4-betting for a free showdown" works very well against, because it might get them to fold a better hand, and they rarely 5-bet or lead into you again on the river.

I'd rather have an unbluffable image so that way people will sometimes raise me light on the turn (expecting me to call down lightly), therefore meaning I can 3-bet them lightly and get even more value.

[/ QUOTE ]

well thats better reasoning but in the situation given were not worried about table image and/or were good enough to exploit our bizarre 3 bet and fold line (especially in games w/ 5 bets). just on its merits is 99-aa good often enough here to call?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"ok, a guy whos a little laggy just cold calls an utg raiser....btw in the hand mentioned the dude had 77"

your read is off.

[/ QUOTE ]

he was 26/19/2+ i think. i dont even know if this is a semi lag anymore. might be a rock nowadays...
Old 07-09-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

your read is off.

[/ QUOTE ]

he was 26/19/2+ i think. i dont even know if this is a semi lag anymore. might be a rock nowadays...

[/ QUOTE ]

6-handed that's pretty tight.

Rob
Old 07-09-2007, 10:20 PM

ya thats as tight as they come in this day in age.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so does that then make my insta fold advice correct? or do you still all fight the impulse to read a hand and limply call down...
Old 07-09-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

NL players also often tend to rely on their "reads" and often disregard the pot odds they are getting. This leads them to make bad folds fairly often.

And don't get me started on river value betting...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah..lol on those nl dooodz who try to think through hands. dont they know your just supposed to spew chips pre flop/flop and bloat the pot so big that you then get to call call down for " the size of the pot". showdowns r fun!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:52 PM

This is one of the first times I disagree with your analysis. Of course we are almost never going to fold to a 4bet, this situation being one of very few I can imagine. I think that it is at least as likely to encourage loose caps on the turn as it is to encourage unwanted caps. Now, if I had already folded a situation like this in the session, I would never do it again.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so does that then make my insta fold advice correct? or do you still all fight the impulse to read a hand and limply call down...

[/ QUOTE ]

no. limon why dont read my posts. i dont overplay my hand and put myslef in a terrible spot.