Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   routine? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=444789)

limon 07-06-2007 08:03 PM

routine?

sweating a limit playing friend of mine. absolute 75/150 6 handed. he raises utg w/ aa gets cold called by button w/ semi lag stats. flop is 378, friend bets button calls. turn is a 2. friend bets, button raises, friend 3 bets button caps...i say insta fold, friend says insta call...im no limit pro...am i out of touch? or is my friend addicted to aces.

SteveL91 07-06-2007 08:31 PM

Re: routine?

Definitely can't fold to the turn cap because you have outs against 78; if he has 22/33, then so be it. However, there's no card on the river that would make me fold, just because he could be getting tricky with a big PP. Hell, I've had people do this with T9.

vmacosta 07-06-2007 09:05 PM

any flush draw(s)?

limon 07-06-2007 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any flush draw(s)?

[/ QUOTE ]

no

limon 07-06-2007 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely can't fold to the turn cap because you have outs against 78; if he has 22/33, then so be it. However, there's no card on the river that would make me fold, just because he could be getting tricky with a big PP. Hell, I've had people do this with T9.

[/ QUOTE ]

can you really put him on 78 or 9t? a cc w/ 78 is highly unlikely and then not raising the flop w/ said 78 even makes it less likely he holds that hand. 9t is a lttle more likely if your grasping at strwas but even then if you run the numbers at poker stove and give him either 9t OR 87 in his range w/ 22.33.77.and 88 its still an easy fold. i think overpairs are out for the 4 bet..they MIGHT call 3 but not make it 4.

The Funky Llama 07-06-2007 09:35 PM

why would he raise the flop with 78 but not a set?

Why would he coldcall with 22 but not 78s?

If he's a lag is he not pretty likely to 3bet 77 or 88 preflop?

limon 07-06-2007 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why would he raise the flop with 78 but not a set?

Why would he coldcall with 22 but not 78s?

If he's a lag is he not pretty likely to 3bet 77 or 88 preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel that when players can only beat overcards they raise when they are beating overcards. many players wait until the big streets to raise w/ sets. players tend to like pairs more than mid connectors hu because they can win unimproved. i dont really put this guy on 88 i think he would have 3 bet. maybe he just froze up a little or is running bad and just called w/ 22,33,77 in the hopes of raiseing when babies flop.

The Funky Llama 07-06-2007 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i feel that when players can only beat overcards they raise when they are beating overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont really understand what you are saying. 78 beats all one pair hands, not just overcards. I dont really see why you think a player is more likely to raise the flop with 78 than he is a set.

limon 07-06-2007 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i feel that when players can only beat overcards they raise when they are beating overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont really understand what you are saying. 78 beats all one pair hands, not just overcards. I dont really see why you think a player is more likely to raise the flop with 78 than he is a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSS! ur right. the 2 came on the flop and the 8 on the turn. my bad...lets start over.

SteveL91 07-06-2007 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

can you really put him on 78 or 9t? a cc w/ 78 is highly unlikely and then not raising the flop w/ said 78 even makes it less likely he holds that hand. 9t is a lttle more likely if your grasping at strwas but even then if you run the numbers at poker stove and give him either 9t OR 87 in his range w/ 22.33.77.and 88 its still an easy fold. i think overpairs are out for the 4 bet..they MIGHT call 3 but not make it 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think T9 is necessarily likely, but possible. What I was trying to get at is that I think your perceived hand range and his actual hand range are two different things.

Basically, The Llama said everything I was going to say. Granted, I've never played 75/150, but even at 50/100, no one ever believes anyone. I don't think your expectation of this guy folding his overpair on the turn after getting the excessive action that he was hoping for with his PF/flop line is going to happen, but maybe it's my hand range that's off.

Ultimately, I think AA is best/has outs often enough to not only see the river, but also a showdown.