Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: how much do you actually enjoy poker?

agreed, but I think it's a little silly to expect all but very few players to be that passionate about the game, that doesn't mean others can't still be winners.

Also glad I make you want to be nice. hooohooo!
Old 06-20-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
youre wrong about gamblers..and its not close (as ive proven through simple logic) what else are you wrong about? alot id guess...thats probably why you scrape by doing something you hate...pitiful...miserable. please dont refer to my posts as terrible again.

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't the fact that almost everyone who posted in this thread disagrees with you and your points show that you are the pitiful one?

[/ QUOTE ]

limon is sometimes wrong. He is 100% dead on in this thread though.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:27 AM

I am going to ignore 99% of this thread because it's just silly and I feel like hearing myself talk.

I love poker on my own terms. And those terms I have discovered are, I cannot enjoy it if I have to do it to make a living. I tried that for a very short term and hated it. And I'm a small-timer who does win. But making it a job, no way. So I quit for a few months while back in school and didn't really miss it.

That's the other thing I discovered, poker is deadening for the brain cells. It's a somewhat intellectual game, but you're really not using that many brain cells. Compared to just about anything else, poker just kind of deadens the soul when you have to do it.

Now, do it for recreation, and it's great. During the summer months, I put in a few SNGs a day and really enjoy myself. I found $30 left over in a FTP account and decided to take a Ferguson Challenge - no reloads, restricive use on the money as far as games go, no multitabling, make it go to $10,000. It might take years, I might never make it, but it's sure fun. In fact, I just won my first multitable tournament the other night and that was AWESOME. Okay, it was only a $5 tourney with 350 players, and a world record number of suckouts on my part, but I won. And I enjoyed it. I don't think I could have said that if I thought I had to win, instead, it's all about enjoyment.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:09 AM

i absolutely love poker when i'm running good and destroying everyone, and i hate it more than anything when i'm running bad.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:34 AM

I view poker the same way I view trading: I love thinking about it, but I absolutely can't stand the actual act of doing it. It's just stressful, and I hate the unknown. And yet, having said that, even if I were a billionaire, I'd still play poker. I wouldn't necessarily be able to play for fun (I'm far too competitive to handle that), but I'd play for the challenge.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i absolutely love poker when i'm running good and destroying everyone, and i hate it more than anything when i'm running bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-20-2007, 06:55 AM

Im pretty sure I'd take the cheque. I dont want to play pro poker for the rest of my life. No way. It's not 'who I am'. I just happen to be able to thrash it - and it's A LOT more money than I could earn doing anything else at this stage of my life. I see it as a means to an end.

If I could get the regular money flowing in, and put my time and energy towards something I was really passionate about, really loved, something I felt was really good for me and those around me, then yeah, cheque please!

At the same time poker is a great game. It has developed me as a person - in good and bad ways mind.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-20-2007, 08:55 AM

What I find interesting (and what I was kinda hoping to see too as it would mirror my own sentiments), was that a lot of the really good players here dont LOVE poker.

At the end of the day poker is only a game. It's a strategy game, that a lot of people here have only been interested in for the past few years. It's not really a spectators sport, it's not a team game that you can follow for years, or follow because your Dad had been following for years before you.

What I'm trying to say (and not very well because I've just woken up) is that it's not the same as sports. For most of us it's more like a computer game than a sport. It's hard to LOVE a computer game. Excluding money, people get so much more out of being involved in sports than being involved in poker.

bleh...I need food
Old 06-20-2007, 10:23 AM

I haven't played online in about 6 months, and before my Vegas trip last week, it had been 4 months since I played live.

Most of this is due to the insane amount of hours I'm working, but the truth is, I hate online poker. It's boring to me. I'm too busy to play live here in NoVa, assuming I even knew were some games were. Vegas was awesome though, reaffirmed how much I enjoy the game.

Back to work... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]