[ QUOTE ]
Hoo boy, Outback. Classy.

(Go to a real steakhouse)

[/ QUOTE ]

Steak snob.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Busting my Outback cherry

[ QUOTE ]
Bleh. I wouldn't describe anything from Outback as "great," or even, "good." You're looking for "okay," and I think that's about the best you're gonna do. I had $35 in gift cards there - good old dad really came through on my christmas present, as always - and I recently bought dinner for myself and a friend at work. I don't even recall what we had, but my medium rare steak was rare and her rare steak was medium - we did the whole curbside to go thing (probably a bad idea, but hell if I actually wanted to set foot inside that place) and I was really, really underwhelmed.

Bloomin' onion is actually half decent, if you like the sauce. Otherwise... I'd steer clear of the steaks, because in my limited experience, neither I tried was very good.

Buca di Bepo was a far better choice.

yasher

[/ QUOTE ]

You can use outback gift certificates at Fleming's.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:02 PM

The lobster "crabcake" is actually quite good. The outbacker burger is tasty too. I only go there for lunch, so I don't know what to tell you for actual dinner fare.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The lobster "crabcake" is actually quite good. The outbacker burger is tasty too. I only go there for lunch, so I don't know what to tell you for actual dinner fare.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent suggestion. As to the poster who said "bleh", you wouldn't be that far off. As to the others who say "go to a real steakhouse", believe me I would but this is a treat to my friend and I already vetoed Red Lobster, so I pretty much had to do Outback.

So I felt like I had to get the Bloomin Onion (although I always call it "Awesome Blossom" for some reason - does Chili's have an Awesome Blossom?). Exactly like I thought, all grease, fairly tasty, but we could only eat 1/3 of it. I think the best thing about this dish--and the reason everyone orders it--is it looks pretty. Bread was quite good. Lobster Crabcake things, very very good, food highlight of the evening.

For entree, I got the Filet coated with blue cheese stuff. Really a pretty good filet, perfect cook and consistency. The blue cheese stuff was a bit much, but if you scrape all of it off I think it adds just the right amount of flavor. Baked potato - ok, standard - but I was stuffed by then.

My friend got the gigantic prime rib, which seemed way too tough for prime rib. Not recommended. Her daughter got the barbie ribs. They looked pretty funny, two petite females with their Fred Flinstone sized portions. She said they were ok, but not as good as Kansas City. But that's an impossible standard no one can live up to. If a Kansas Citian says some other BBQ is ok, then it's probably excellent by anyone else's standards. Sorry BBQ is the one thing KCians have a right to be snobby about. Deal with it.

I've heard a lot about the chocolate thunder from down under, but we were all just way too sweaty, bloated and flatulent from our gigantic portions to think about ordering it.

The other highlight on the evening was the waitress. My friend and her daughter are very polite but can be fairly high maintenance. Our server was perfectly right on top of everything, incredibly friendly, suggested everything at the right time, was never too hovering. As someone who waited tables off and on for 10 years, I was incredibly impressed. Best service I've gotten anywhere in a long time. I gave her $35 on a $97 tab, and told her manager she was excellent on the way out. Someone who's that good at their job, and still friendly is generally the sign of a pretty-well run joint (think of the opposite of PP).

So overall:

Food - 7 out of 10
Service - 10 out of 10
Prices - expected
Atmosphere - eh, who cares?

I can think of about a million other places I'd like to try before I go back, but I won't scream if someone makes me go. I will avoid the awesome onion thing next time. Too much grease.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can think of about a million other places I'd like to try before I go back

[/ QUOTE ]

Name 67
Old 02-19-2006, 11:02 PM

I've never been but I think you should get a bloomin onion because I liked the commercial.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:04 PM

the steaks are pretty bad. the bacon cheeseburger is quite good though. so is the fried onion thing and the onion soup, as well as the potato soup. enjoy.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:08 PM

Maybe Outback's in Canada are different, however the one in Toronto has good to very good steak. 8/10. Also I have no idea what some of the items being suggested are.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:41 PM

Alice Spring Chicken
Old 02-19-2006, 11:15 PM

Everyone in this thread is smoking crack. Outback is fine. Get a steak, any steak. They're all decent. Obviously, you get what you pay for, so it's not going to be the meal of a lifetime. Still, the food is decent.