Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2006, 03:15 PM

Default Re: German Food

Karrotensalat-
5-8 Carrots, Shred these with a cheese grater. Kinda sucks to do this but well worth it. Important to use cheese grater as it will create correct size of carrot pieces. Put carrots in a bowl.

2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice (one freshly squeezed lemon)

1 Tablespoon brown sugar

1.5 Tablespoon honey

Handful of Golden Raisins

Voila!
Old 07-20-2006, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have one word for you; Maultaschen

I was in Germany a few weeks ago and my girlfriend and I were staying with her host family in the Swabisch Alps. Apparantly maultaschen is a regional specialty and we had a sh*t ton for dinner. They served them pan-fried and in soup.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct sir. I studied for a semester in the schwabischen alps (Tuebingen), and I ate that [censored] all the time.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:35 PM

Saurbraten is good. The wife is partial to Hassenfeffer.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My grandman makes something called "Rouladin" It is seriously the best food ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
My mother is 100% German and an otherwise fine cook. This dish is perhaps the most vile thing I have ever eaten.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My grandman makes something called "Rouladin" It is seriously the best food ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it thinly sliced beef wrapped around asparagus? I didn't know how to spell it (see above).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my grandma makes it without the asparagus or pickle. It has bacon and onions wrapped up with the beef. It's awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its basically the German version of bracciole, but instead of a cheese filling, the German filling is bacon and pickels. And the beef is slathered with mustard, and then braised in a nasty sauce. The smell of it will make your wallpaper peel.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its basically the German version of bracciole

[/ QUOTE ]

OK...

[ QUOTE ]
but instead of a cheese filling, the German filling is bacon and pickels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good...

[ QUOTE ]
And the beef is slathered with mustard

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice...

[ QUOTE ]
and then braised in a nasty sauce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if the sauce ruled instead of sucked?

Curious,
-Al
Old 07-20-2006, 04:49 PM

German food recipes? I got German food recipes

Beef Rouladen Black Forest Style & Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage

6 Slices Inside Round (8 to 10 inches long by 3-4 inches wide by ¼ inch thick, as lean as possible. This can be done by any specialty butcher.)
1 large white onion, sliced
4 tablespoons butter
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
1 large bunch parsley, chopped
1 pound bacon, julienne
2-3 tablespoons Dijon mustard (Grey Poupon is best)
6 dill pickle spears (Quarters, not whole pickles)
2 cups red wine
3 cups demi-glace or any brown sauce
6 short bamboo or metal skewers

Sauté the onions in half of the butter just until translucent. Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely.
Lay the inside round strips out flat and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Spread a generous teaspoon of the mustard over the top side of the inside round strip, then spread evenly with 1/6 of the onions, 1/6 of the parsley and 1/6 of the raw bacon.
Place one pickle spear on the edge of the strip and roll up tightly so that the pickle spear is in the very center. Tie with kitchen string or pierce with a short bamboo or metal skewer to hold the ends of the roll in place.
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Heat the remaining butter in an ovenproof sauté pan just large enough to hold all of the rouladen without much space in between.
Sprinkle the outsides of the rouladen with salt and pepper; add to the sauté pan and brown well on all sides.
Add the wine to deglaze the pan, cover and cook until the pan is almost dry.
Add the demi-glace or brown sauce, remove from heat, cover and place in the oven.
Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until the meat is, tender enough to be pierced easily with a bamboo skewer. (You may want to check halfway through, just to make sure that the rouladen don’t overcook and fall apart.)

Veal Shank with Macaire Potatoes

For Roasted Veal Shank (Gebackene Kalbshaxe):

1 veal shank (about 5 pounds), bone in, rinsed with cold water and patted dry Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
2 tablespoons olive oil

For the Vegetables:
11/2 cups chopped carrot
11/2 cups chopped celery root
4 ounces fresh green beans
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
4 ounces snap peas
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Fresh parsley sprigs, for garnish

For Macaire Potatoes (Macaire Kartoffel):
8 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 slices bacon, cooked and finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped chives

Preheat oven to 475°F. To make the veal, season the veal shank with the salt, pepper, and paprika, drizzle with oil, and place in a small roasting pan or large casserole. Roast until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cover with foil, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F, and roast for an additional 11/2 hours. (The veal is properly cooked when the meat has shrunk, 5 to 6 inches of the bone are exposed, and the tendons have transformed into gelatine.) Remove the roast from the pan, cover with foil, setting aside to rest and keep warm, and reserve the pan. To make the vegetables, bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil, drop in the vegetables, one variety at a time, and boil (blanch) until bright in color and slightly softened, about 3 to 4 minutes depending on the vegetable. Lift out the vegetables with a wire mesh strainer and set on paper towels to drain as the next batch is blanched. Melt the butter in the reserved roasting pan over medium heat. Toss in the vegetables, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until lightly browned and tender (but not too soft). To serve, set the veal shank on a large platter, arrange the vegetables over and around it, and garnish with parsley.

For Macaire Potatoes (Macaire Kartoffel):

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan filled with lightly salted water, bring to a boil over high heat, and boil until the potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes, place on a baking sheet, and set in the oven to dry further, about 5 minutes. Set the potatoes aside to cool slightly. Push the potatoes through a potato ricer or food mill into a large bowl, add the egg yolks, salt, white pepper, nutmeg, bacon, and chives, and mix thoroughly to combine. Using slightly wet hands, shape the potatoes into cakes about 3 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. Arrange the cakes on a parchment-lined baking sheet coated with vegetable spray and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fifteen is my limit on schnitzengruben.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice Blazing Saddles reference! (I think)
Old 07-20-2006, 05:34 PM

Old 07-20-2006, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it thinly sliced beef wrapped around asparagus? I didn't know how to spell it (see above).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my grandma makes it without the asparagus or pickle. It has bacon and onions wrapped up with the beef. It's awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its basically the German version of bracciole, but instead of a cheese filling, the German filling is bacon and pickels. And the beef is slathered with mustard, and then braised in a nasty sauce. The smell of it will make your wallpaper peel.

[/ QUOTE ]

My grandma doesn't use pickles or mustard. It's really, really great the way she makes it. The pickles and mustard thing does sound nasty to me.