Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: How\'s your SSNLHE?: T9s

[ QUOTE ]
I recognize we are giving villain a free card, but if he has an ace....

[/ QUOTE ]

If he doesn't have an ace, he's hard-pressed to call the continuation bet. If he has an ace and we check behind the flop, he's leading into us on the turn, and we don't have a chance to fire our bullet there anyway.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I recognize we are giving villain a free card, but if he has an ace....

[/ QUOTE ]

If he doesn't have an ace, he's hard-pressed to call the continuation bet. If he has an ace and we check behind the flop, he's leading into us on the turn, and we don't have a chance to fire our bullet there anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

My post stated that we would check the flop only if we intended to bet/raise any turn card. In your scenario if the villain bets out with his ace, we will raise (say 3/4 pot), it screams AA or made hand to him. Villain is smart enough to know that most donks with AA will check a flop with an ace in it for fear of taking it down too quickly. Also, if we hit miracle cards I think we have a much better chance to stack this type of villain because our hand will be well disguised.

I'm just trying to see if anyone thinks 3rd and 4th level thinking will work in this situation; especially since we have a solid villain who is probably capable of at least 3rd level thinking. This is a theoretical discussion on what is admittedly, a non-standard play.

Anyone want to humor me?
Old 02-18-2006, 01:21 AM

I would tend to agree with you on this one. Solid opponents seem much more willing to try to pick off continuation bets, and play poker deep into a hand. I like the "delayed" continuation bet on the turn, and I feel like I get solid value out of raising that turn card. Alot of folks will lead right out on the turn given my checking the ace (likely putting me on a scared mid pair or some suited connector type hand), but fold when I raise up the turn which does indeed scream monster.

Against a fish, this obviously isnt a great idea - but then again I have fish call down any PP or 2nd or 3rd pair on the board, even on an ace high flop, against my continuations at times.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:15 PM

Nice poll again, at first I was thinking that calling his river bet was the best play but then thought it over and realised that he will generally have the Ace or better.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:21 PM

These quizzes are a good idea
Old 12-09-2006, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice poll again, at first I was thinking that calling his river bet was the best play but then thought it over and realised that he will generally have the Ace or better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol sweet bump. Although these threads are awesome...
Old 09-23-2007, 01:58 PM

Question 2:

I would make a 1/2 pot size for the following reason:
- The Board is uncoordinated
- The Board contains an ace
---> A psb would most likely have the same effect as a 1/2 sized bet imo, so why not risk less money if he happens to have TP or better?