Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Re: 49er\'s to the South Bay?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the Niners move to Vegas I may end my life. If they move to Santa Clara can they still be called the San Francisco 49ers? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a little farther from Candlestick Point to Santa Clara than it is from Flushing Queens to East Rutherford, NJ, but the precedent is already there.

Google maps measures from arbitraty city centers, but I did some quick lookups, and the distance is about the same as:

- LA - Anaheim
- Detroit - Auburn Hills
- Boston - Foxborough (this doesn't really count for naming, though)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the issue is more one of association. Auburn Hills, for example, has no real identity to outsiders the way Detroit does, so the team being located there isn't really changing the team's identity as a Detroit team.

I don't know California that well, so I don't know if Santa Clara has enough stand-alone identity (I need a better term for this) to cause a change in the team's identity with regard to its location, but if that were the case, it might be a legit issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

They've got the Paramount Great America theme park, University Chicken (AKA Cluck U) and a private college that produced Steve Nash, Randy Winn, and dropped their football team.

I think the San Francisco 49ers will continue on with their name. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2006, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They've got the Paramount Great America theme park, University Chicken (AKA Cluck U) and a private college that produced Steve Nash, Randy Winn, and dropped their football team.

I think the San Francisco 49ers will continue on with their name. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

University Chicken is awesome. Next time you are in there, tell Matt he's a DONK. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Back when the Giants where thinking of moving down, didn't they agree in principle to change the name to Santa Clara Giants? I have no clue on the rules about this (if it requires league approval).
Old 11-09-2006, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they move to Santa Clara can they still be called the San Francisco 49ers? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? The Jets and Giants don't play in New York. The Redskins don't play or practice in DC. Dallas doesn't play in the city of Dallas. Tampa Bay plays in the city of Tampa rather than the middle of the waters of Tampa Bay.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they move to Santa Clara can they still be called the San Francisco 49ers?

[/ QUOTE ]

From team statement

Our name: We will remain the San Francisco 49ers regardless of where in the Bay Area our stadium is located.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:03 PM

Apparently, the new facility will be near the practice facility. That's about 37 miles from Monster Park: Google Maps

(and about 12 miles from the new As park).
Old 11-09-2006, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If they move to Santa Clara can they still be called the San Francisco 49ers? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? The Jets and Giants don't play in New York. The Redskins don't play or practice in DC. Dallas doesn't play in the city of Dallas. Tampa Bay plays in the city of Tampa rather than the middle of the waters of Tampa Bay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know when the Bears were looking for a new stadium, Mayor Daley wouldn't allow them to use the name Chicago if they chose a site that he didn't approve.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently, the new facility will be near the practice facility. That's about 37 miles from Monster Park: Google Maps

(and about 12 miles from the new As park).

[/ QUOTE ]

...and if you take Tasman -> Great America Parkway -> 237 -> 880, you'll be at the A's park in about an hour. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2006, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
oakland, the 49ers, and i heard them asking the kings owners last night about moving to vegas

wtf is wrong with all these california teams?

we basically revolted when the patriots were gonna move from foxboro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah when they were mentioning New Haven I was so angry I could have killed someone.

also: LOL at them always showing scenes of Boston during Pats games, like they're trying to trick the rest of the country that doesn't know where Gillette is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the plan was to move to Hartford. I never understood the outrage. It's only an hour an a half away, and they would still have been called the New England Patriots. I wouldn't have minded in the least.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the Niners move to Vegas I may end my life. If they move to Santa Clara can they still be called the San Francisco 49ers? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a little farther from Candlestick Point to Santa Clara than it is from Flushing Queens to East Rutherford, NJ, but the precedent is already there.

Google maps measures from arbitraty city centers, but I did some quick lookups, and the distance is about the same as:

- LA - Anaheim
- Detroit - Auburn Hills
- Boston - Foxborough (this doesn't really count for naming, though)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the issue is more one of association. Auburn Hills, for example, has no real identity to outsiders the way Detroit does, so the team being located there isn't really changing the team's identity as a Detroit team.

I don't know California that well, so I don't know if Santa Clara has enough stand-alone identity (I need a better term for this) to cause a change in the team's identity with regard to its location, but if that were the case, it might be a legit issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is fair to point out that the Patriots used to be known as the Boston Patriots. They became the New England patriots when they moved to Foxboro
Old 11-09-2006, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know when the Bears were looking for a new stadium, Mayor Daley wouldn't allow them to use the name Chicago if they chose a site that he didn't approve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow the Mayor owns the rights to the name "Chicago"?