Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   49er's to the South Bay? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=256385)

By-Tor 11-09-2006 01:16 PM

49er\'s to the South Bay?

I heard this last night and was surprised to see no thread this morning.

The San Francisco 49er's have haulted staduim talks with the city of San Francisco and have informed the mayor or their intentions to move.

Santa Clara is the most likely site. The 49er's practice facility is located their and from my understanding, they have always had a good relationship with the city.

Other alternatives would include Los Angeles...which would make me very happy since it would give me a real reason to hate them, but since I grew up in Santa Clara, I will pull for my hometown.

Go Santa Clara!

I'd never ditch my beloved World Famous San Francisco Giants for the substandards of American League baseball which the A's will be bringing, but this certainly could be a banner year for the South Bay and professional sports.

Yahoo! story...

Green Kool Aid 11-09-2006 01:19 PM

Re: 49er\'s to the South Bay?

oakland, the 49ers, and i heard them asking the kings owners last night about moving to vegas

wtf is wrong with all these california teams?

we basically revolted when the patriots were gonna move from foxboro.

Spellmen 11-09-2006 01:33 PM

If the Niners move to Vegas I may end my life. If they move to Santa Clara can they still be called the San Francisco 49ers? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Boris 11-09-2006 01:45 PM

I'm pretty sure the 49er faithful will freak out if this happens. Moving to the South Bay is such an insult to people in San Francisco.

offTopic 11-09-2006 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the Niners move to Vegas I may end my life. If they move to Santa Clara can they still be called the San Francisco 49ers? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a little farther from Candlestick Point to Santa Clara than it is from Flushing Queens to East Rutherford, NJ, but the precedent is already there.

Google maps measures from arbitraty city centers, but I did some quick lookups, and the distance is about the same as:

- LA - Anaheim
- Detroit - Auburn Hills
- Boston - Foxborough (this doesn't really count for naming, though)

XXXNoahXXX 11-09-2006 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oakland, the 49ers, and i heard them asking the kings owners last night about moving to vegas

we basically revolted when the patriots were gonna move from foxboro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah when they were mentioning New Haven I was so angry I could have killed someone.

also: LOL at them always showing scenes of Boston during Pats games, like they're trying to trick the rest of the country that doesn't know where Gillette is.

AngusThermopyle 11-09-2006 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the teams (SF and Oakland). The stupid cities. Not saying they have to build a stadium for the teams (Giants built their own with the city kicking in redevelopment money for infrastructure), but the politics of SF and Oakland/Alameda County is retarded (Willie and Jerry Brown!!).

Kneel B4 Zod 11-09-2006 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
like they're trying to trick the rest of the country that doesn't know where Gillette is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure 99% of the country couldn't tell you where Gillete is, just that it's somewhere around Boston - north, south or west away by some distance

kidcolin 11-09-2006 02:21 PM

Noah,

the shots of boston are similar to shots of detroit during pistons games, and I'm sure there are other examples of this. Pretty standard.

damaniac 11-09-2006 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a little farther from Candlestick Point to Santa Clara than it is from Flushing Queens to East Rutherford, NJ, but the precedent is already there.

Google maps measures from arbitraty city centers, but I did some quick lookups, and the distance is about the same as:

- LA - Anaheim
- Detroit - Auburn Hills
- Boston - Foxborough (this doesn't really count for naming, though)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the issue is more one of association. Auburn Hills, for example, has no real identity to outsiders the way Detroit does, so the team being located there isn't really changing the team's identity as a Detroit team.

I don't know California that well, so I don't know if Santa Clara has enough stand-alone identity (I need a better term for this) to cause a change in the team's identity with regard to its location, but if that were the case, it might be a legit issue.