Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Has Anyone Used These? (Cat Question)

[ QUOTE ]
isn't there a spray that you can put on things that keeps the cat from clawing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it's called "bitter apple". We tried it with our cats when they were younger, and it didn't seem to work.

Our cats scratch a bit, but the damage is greatly reduced by regularly trimming their nails so that they're not sharp enough to do much damage. Our cats are EXTREMELY placid, though, so it's no big deal for them to sit still long enough for us to trim their nails.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:27 PM

soft paws are awesome. They work great on all three cats I've had...only problem is getting them on! Wrap your cat up in a towel and have a friend hold him while you apply the soft paws.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:41 PM

Wouldn't a cat that gets out while wearing these be just as [censored] in a fight as a cat with no claws? Am I missing something?
Old 02-11-2007, 03:47 PM

As long as they don't impede my cat's ability to paw around in a box of his own poo and then track feline fecal residue all over my house and furniture, then I just might have to get a set of these.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:27 PM

Getting a cat declawed should be a last resort. as previously stated they dont just remove the nail. this would be like your fingernails getting too long so they cut off your fingers to the knuckle. ridiculous.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:23 PM

my gf used to work at petsmart. She said they were pretty popular considering what they were and that everyone that bought them said they worked great.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't a cat that gets out while wearing these be just as [censored] in a fight as a cat with no claws? Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're probably slightly better off than no claws at all, but the cat will still get its ass kicked.

The solution is to never let your cat outdoors right from day one. They don't need to go outside, and they'll generally only live half as long as indoor cats. My cats have never been outdoor cats, and now they're scared to leave the house.

That being said, if you've been letting your cat outdoors for years, good luck suddenly trying to keep him indoors. He'll find ways to "punish" you for not letting him out... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, if you've been letting your cat outdoors for years, good luck suddenly trying to keep him indoors. He'll find ways to "punish" you for not letting him out...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, when we first moved a few years back, our cat went outside and got lost. He was gone for 3 weeks before he finally turned up. We decided to keep him inside for the duration of our time there, about 3 years. He scratched the [censored] out of that apartment, heh.

We let him outside now, but he alerts us by scratching doors when he wants to head out.. bastard.

I'm really pondering getting that cat bag.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
isn't there a spray that you can put on things that keeps the cat from clawing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it's called "bitter apple". We tried it with our cats when they were younger, and it didn't seem to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

We used bitter apple on my dog and it was moderately successful. we were actually spraying it into his mouth, but you were supposed to spray it on things he was chewing or messing with. i tried it once and its serious business. dont declaw the cat, that sucks. go with the bag,
Old 02-11-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. That honestly solves the problem. He can keep his nails, but he stays in a cat bag. Thanks bro.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha

I'd give those claw thingies a try. I'd never have a cat declawed. It makes them much less safe if they ever get outside(can't either fight or flight(run up a tree) properly), it's painful, and they remove the whole first joint of the digit, not just the nail bud.

[/ QUOTE ]
my cat is an inside/outside cat, and he has his claws but he still gets his ass kicked on a weekly basis. Any way I can help him learn how to not get his ass kicked?

also this thread obviously neads pics of cats, here's my cat who always gets hurt by random animals.