Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Buying a TV

[ QUOTE ]
32" is about as big as the room can handle, so I didn't want anything bigger. I would be curious to know what you think is a better 32, the Samsung looks by far the best of all that I've checked out and the price was very reasonable for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Westinghouse in the past couple of months has come out of nowhere and started producing some really nice tvs at unreal prices if you look around. You can get a 32 inch lcd that accepts the new 1080p for around 1k. You can get the 37 inch versoin of that for just under 1400. I stray away from all flat panel monitors made by samsung because they are notorious for whats called clay facing. During certain parts of dvds you might notice some splotchyness on people faces. This is the clay facing. Being able to get a 1080p tv for 1k is just unreal.

Edited to add samsung tvs are a lot like bose speakers. They are just way overpriced and rely fairly heavily on there names and advertising to sell units. They look/sound fine you can just get exceptionally better products for a lot less money.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:28 PM

This TV by Niko is the best bang for the buck you can get( a 32 inch HD LCD for only 650), and if you search AVS froums you'll see that people love it.
Niko
Reviews
Old 08-15-2006, 08:56 PM

Dell makes some good tvs.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't waste money on a really nice tv for a dorm since you're only going to get campus cable and you won't end up watching much tv anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup. Got me a $120 20" from Sears which I consider to be at the high end of my TV budget.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to a big school with a DC hub and a bangin LAN, you'll wish you spent the money on a good monitor instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bang on. My school had a sweet LAN with hdtv rips of pretty much every tv show up the next day downloadable in 10 minutes or less. Saves you a lot of time on commercials too, like 16 minutes off of every hour. God bless the compsci nerds.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:02 AM

cnet.com