Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Buying a TV (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=186553)

junglewarfare 08-14-2006 02:06 PM

Buying a TV

Ok I am move in a couple weeks and want to buy a TV. What's a good site to get reviews of TV's and stuff? I seriously don't know where to start. My budget is probably a lot larger than your average student but nothing crazy.

RyanCMU 08-14-2006 02:40 PM

Re: Buying a TV

Is it for a dorm or off campus housing? We just got a nice 52 inch RCA for around 900 from bestbuy, and couldnt be happier.

junglewarfare 08-14-2006 03:26 PM

It's a dorm. I just asked a couple people and there is no HD service, you can only get the cable service that they pipe into the rooms so that isnt an issue. What is a standard site with reviews and stuff?

New001 08-14-2006 04:42 PM

I did a fair bit of research and testing before buying this a couple weeks ago, and I would highly recommend it if it's in your price range.

Evan 08-14-2006 04:57 PM

I wouldn't waste money on a really nice tv for a dorm since you're only going to get campus cable and you won't end up watching much tv anyway.

TheProbst 08-14-2006 05:38 PM

AVSforum.com is the 2p2 for electronical thingys.

You can actually buy an HD antenna (like bunny ears on top of your tv only more badass) for about 50 bucks that gets
all your local channels in HD for free. So if you cant get say direct tv installed outside your window and you want HD channels having ABC NBC CBS WB etc in HD is nice for sporting events and such.

How much are you looking to spend and I can probably tell you off the top of my head the best possible tv for the money.

New001 - Samsungs are overpriced btw. You can get a much nicer larger lcd for less money.

dustyn 08-14-2006 06:41 PM

TheProbst,

OTA HD is a decent suggestion, but if he lives in a dorm where he can't get HD service, I am wondering if it's an urban campus or some place where he can get HD OTA to begin with, since it's usually harder to get stations thru OTA than with cable.

If you can't get HD in any format, just buy a cheapo 27 inch CRT and save your TV money for when you can get a quality HDTV. You will just be throwing away money if you buy a nice TV and can't get HDTV, and when you move to a place w/HD offerings, much better TVs will be available for your budget level than are available now.

New001 08-15-2006 02:06 AM

32" is about as big as the room can handle, so I didn't want anything bigger. I would be curious to know what you think is a better 32, the Samsung looks by far the best of all that I've checked out and the price was very reasonable for me.

bluey 08-15-2006 02:08 AM

i rarely watch tv at school.

hmkpoker 08-15-2006 02:19 AM

If you're going to a big school with a DC hub and a bangin LAN, you'll wish you spent the money on a good monitor instead.