Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Help w/ NYC housing for the Summer?

Bump for any more help or suggestions...
Old 03-04-2007, 11:12 PM

I think you've pretty much gotten your answer. Start looking on craigslist about a month ahead of when you need a place. Unless you know some people on NY that's just about your only chance for a 3 month rental.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:15 PM

jsnipes - Washington Sq. park?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:20 PM

i don't suggest the financial district to live if you u plan on going out and enjoying the city and the neighborhood. the financial district is dead after about 6pm, not a lot of people walking around on the streets. wouldn't feel comfortable with my sister walking around by herself late at night down there. i would suggest soho/tribeca if you want to spend a lot to live in a very trendy neighborhood. the west village is a little lower key, also very nice, but expesive.

the east village is a step bellow west village in price, but some like the neighborhood better than the west village. lower east side is also a step cheaper. i would also suggest park slope brooklyn. its just a subway ride away from downtown and a very nice neighborhood. brooklyn heights is also very nice but very expensive.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the financial district is dead after about 6pm, not a lot of people walking around on the streets. wouldn't feel comfortable with my sister walking around by herself late at night down there.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is pretty unreasonable unless you just wouldn't feel comfortable with her walking around by herself anywhere. How can you think Brooklyn Heights or Park Slope is any safer for her than the Financial District?

Also, the "dead at night" thing is getting less and less true every month as more bars/restaurants open and people start spending more time here. Even a couple years ago it wouldn't have been really accurate to say there weren't many people out after 6 pm. Less than many other parts of Manhattan for sure, but more than nearly all of the outer boroughs or Manhattan north of 59th St.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't suggest the financial district to live if you u plan on going out and enjoying the city and the neighborhood. the financial district is dead after about 6pm, not a lot of people walking around on the streets. wouldn't feel comfortable with my sister walking around by herself late at night down there. i would suggest soho/tribeca if you want to spend a lot to live in a very trendy neighborhood. the west village is a little lower key, also very nice, but expesive.

the east village is a step bellow west village in price, but some like the neighborhood better than the west village. lower east side is also a step cheaper. i would also suggest park slope brooklyn. its just a subway ride away from downtown and a very nice neighborhood. brooklyn heights is also very nice but very expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going out from the financial district isn't too bad cause all the subway lines converge down there, so you can get to most places pretty easily. I worked down there this summer and walked around late at night sometimes and never really felt unsafe. There are enough office buildings around with people working late and cars waiting for them that it doesnt feel that deserted. Also, there's pretty good security around the Fed and NYSE, so I think most of the riff raff would not really want to hang around there.

Other places in NYC have a lot more character, but the financial district isnt a terrible option for a summer.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:01 AM

i dont know if you know people in NYC but if you don't i'm going to make a suggestion that i think you really should pay attention to, especially if you are just playing poker.

if you get an apt by yourself or even some random roommate you are going to have a really hard time meeting people. the best thing to do would be to suck it up and find either a dumpy apartment where a bunch of students live (easy to meet people) or a dorm.

I lived in NYC when I was 21 for a summer and stayed at the marymount manhattan dorms in midtown (55th btwn 2nd and 3rd). I believe they have another dorm somewhere too.

The location was awesome for me because I worked 7 blocks away. Midtown isn't the best for nightlife or atmosphere but it could be worse. The best part is I met a lot of people who were in the same position as me and even though I never really hung out with my roommate I found a group or 10 or so people that I always hung around with.

google the college (i think its loyola marymount manhattan or MMC or something) if you have any questions or send me a PM. I believe rent was like 1200/mo (no food) and that was with sharing a dorm room.

i strongly recommend not living by yourself. that summer would have sucked if i just came home from work with nothing to do but living with college kids made it the best summer of my life.

tc
Old 03-05-2007, 05:16 PM

I lived in an NYU dorm in the Financial District (Water St.) last summer. Nice dorm, really [censored] location. It really was dead after 6pm or so, so I had to often resort to taking the subway into Soho/East Village/Midtown/Times Sq. It was a bit of a walk to the station (4-5 blocks) and coming home after drinking and walking down Fulton at 2am with the hobos yelling at you w/ no one else around is kind of unsettling. That routine got old real quick and I started using taxis, which gets pretty expensive when you have to go from Times Square or Midtown... You basically feel very disconnected from the night life, even though you are living on the island.

I highly recommend living in the Soho to Murray Hill/Midtown areas along the East Side. These are the youngest areas of the city with a very active night life, some very good (but not ridiculously overpriced) food, etc.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was a bit of a walk to the station (4-5 blocks) and coming home after drinking and walking down Fulton at 2am with the hobos yelling at you w/ no one else around is kind of unsettling.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is hilarious. 200 Water St. to the Fulton St. subways is NOT a "bit of a walk" by any stretch of the imagination. How close do you think you're going to be to the subway in Murray Hill or Soho? I've walked down Fulton St. late at night hundreds of times and never been yelled at by any bums. Most of them are sleeping at that time. Pretty much the only ones awake are the guy outside the crappy deli with the buffet and the guy that opens the door at Jubilee.

Taking a cab to Times Square is a joke. Then again, so is going out in Times Square.

There's plenty of reasons not to want to live in the Financial District, but loud bums and lack of subway access are most definitely not them.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:21 PM

I wasn't complaining about "lack of subway access," just noting that you'd be walking at least 4 blocks (its 4 to the 2,3 -- 6 to get to the 4,5 which is at Fulton/Broadway) and it can be rather unpleasant.

Maybe you have a higher tolerance for bums then I do. I barely saw any bums around Murray Hill/Gramercy/Midtown East at night ... so the contrast was stark.