Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Help w/ NYC housing for the Summer? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=345898)

jsnipes28 03-03-2007 03:31 PM

Help w/ NYC housing for the Summer?

I am going to live in NYC for June-August this summer and would love some suggestions on how to go about finding housing/where to live etc.

I am 21 and would like to live somewhere relatively nice. Don't want to pay more than 2500 a month ideally. Might be getting an i-banking internship (still waiting to hear) and if not will just play poker.

So far I have been just googling and looking on craigslist but without too much success. Thanks for any help.
-John

slickpoppa 03-03-2007 03:38 PM

Re: Help w/ NYC housing for the Summer?

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to live in NYC for June-August this summer and would love some suggestions on how to go about finding housing/where to live etc.

I am 21 and would like to live somewhere relatively nice. Don't want to pay more than 2500 a month ideally. Might be getting an i-banking internship (still waiting to hear) and if not will just play poker.

So far I have been just googling and looking on craigslist but without too much success. Thanks for any help.
-John

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people are gonna tell you to try NYU dorms/apartments, but FYI they are already full.

Paul B. 03-03-2007 03:39 PM

I think the sublets/temp on craigslist is probably your best bet. Also, NYU provides temporary housing for pretty much anyone.

jsnipes28 03-03-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the sublets/temp on craigslist is probably your best bet. Also, NYU provides temporary housing for pretty much anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya someone told me that the deadline for NYU housing already has been passed.

anklebreaker 03-03-2007 04:24 PM

Look for sublets, and brokers who deal with temp. housing.

You might wanna consider where you are working before you choose an location.

GTL 03-03-2007 04:36 PM

craigs list is a good resource for temporary housing. are you planning on living in manhattan or brooklyn? if you are willing to spend 2k a month you should be able to get very nice digs if you live with 1 or 2 other people. I would suggest checking out areas like park slope and williamsburg if youre interested in brooklyn. If you want to live in manhattan there are almost too many neighborhood options to list.

trapsetter 03-03-2007 04:40 PM

As another poster already suggested, I would start here .

Your budget is pretty reasonable, although it's still not all that easy to find something "nice" for that price in a decent neighborhood of Manhattan given the torrid rental market. I currently live in a 925 sq foot 1 BR (1.5 bath) in a luxury highrise and my rent is 4k a month. 2500 would get you a similar size apartment but in a less nice building.

The best situation would be to find a sublet. The market is inefficient, as people are sometimes in a bind to rent their place out quickly so they'll rent at a sub-market value.

With a 2,500 budget you'll find something good if you sniff around. Check craig'slist (the link i provided). After that I'd call corcoran or brown harris stevens and ask about short term housing. At minimum they should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Good luck.

jsnipes28 03-03-2007 04:46 PM

trapsetter-
thanks. just found the ultimate short term housing situation at the brown harris stevens website.

55 wall street cipriani club lol-4500/month. that would be fun

trapsetter 03-03-2007 04:48 PM

hahaha, yes indeed.

Any idea what neighborhood you'd like to be in?

jsnipes28 03-03-2007 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hahaha, yes indeed.

Any idea what neighborhood you'd like to be in?

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have a wall-street internship and my gf works for Goldman's so I was thinking that the Financial District would not be a bad place nor would Tribeca/Soho area.

If I don't get an internship then I suppose it doesn't really matter, but I want to live there (NYC) anyway, so whatever is going to be really cool and fun for someone relatively young (21).