Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 02:00 PM

Default Re: NYC - Locking threads

[ QUOTE ]
All the more reason for sharing the information. Obviously, there are inherent risks in any and all the clubs, but if people are getting robbed and hurt, why is the priority to protect the card room and not warn other players? If the room is reopening they are happily taking our money without regard to our safety, why is the stance of 2+2 to protect their interests rather than ours?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 3 risks inherent in playing in any private club around the nation. Since these risks are generally shared in every state where poker is not a game of skill or there needs to be a licensed operator I don't think going into detail about specific rooms matters, in the long run it does more harm than good. However I think its very important to discuss the risks we all face.

1) Cheating is a legitimate concern

2) Robbery is common

3) As a player you might be arrested (this includes NYC contrary to popular opinion), spend a night in jail, have to hire a lawyer, etc. Its usually much worse for the employees of the private club of course, but players have experienced this as well.

4) You could lose your buyin if the room is raided, in some raids that have been documented the police will take all cash you have on your person

5) Foreign chips can easily be inserted into tournaments

6) Team collusion is more common that you would expect

7) Marked cards are a very legitimate concern.

I wrote this email quickly while at work, let me know if the concepts are not coherent.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2006, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who would want to play with just a few regulars who mainly know each other?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the game's good....
Old 09-28-2006, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who would want to play with just a few regulars who mainly know each other?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the game's good....

[/ QUOTE ]

All the backroom games I play in are filled with players who are very good....for the game.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:45 PM

Good post, TT.

Players should certainly consider these risks when playing in private unregulated clubs and also consider what steps the management has taken to alleviate the risks. Consider not only whether they are running a clean game but also whether the location is secure. To paraphrase a popular movie from 20+ years ago, often the only appropriate move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?

The best option is undoubtedly to play in a large legit poker room that is properly governed and subject to oversight. Of course, that is not available where many of us live...
Old 09-29-2006, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are 3 risks inherent in playing in any private club around the nation. Since these risks are generally shared in every state where poker is not a game of skill or there needs to be a licensed operator I don't think going into detail about specific rooms matters, in the long run it does more harm than good. However I think its very important to discuss the risks we all face.

1) Cheating is a legitimate concern

2) Robbery is common

3) As a player you might be arrested (this includes NYC contrary to popular opinion), spend a night in jail, have to hire a lawyer, etc. Its usually much worse for the employees of the private club of course, but players have experienced this as well.

4) You could lose your buyin if the room is raided, in some raids that have been documented the police will take all cash you have on your person

5) Foreign chips can easily be inserted into tournaments

6) Team collusion is more common that you would expect

7) Marked cards are a very legitimate concern.

I wrote this email quickly while at work, let me know if the concepts are not coherent.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean other than the fact that your 3 reasons mutated into 7? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Other than that, looks like you covered it to me, with the possible addition of:

8 - In some rooms by the end of the night you might realize that attempting to leave with a substantial win might not be the best EV move for your health...