Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: FTOPS 100+R: AA during 2nd Hour.

I'm in favour of putting in a big raise here. He could have a set but the board is very drawy. If he happens to flop a set vs your Aces on a board like this, I'm in the camp that says that there's not much you're gonna be able to do.

A lot of players, btw, would play 88 just like he's playing (not correctly, IMO, but they do it nevertheless), and I think that's the most likely hand.

Ryan
Old 05-19-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I see no reason to assume he's open-limping 66/77/99 with much frequency since he's apparently a good player and stacks are fine for opening there.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine then, but I just hate putting in a ton of chips/my tournament life on the line in such marginal spots where I have to fade these huge draws early(if he doesn't have a set here) so to me it feels like gamble vs. a draw or get alot of money in with few outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol tournamentlifeaments?

This hand is a lot more theory than line discussion IMO because if cEV=$EV I feel confident that this is a raise/call.

So the question of this hand is how much of an edge do we have, and how much (if any) can we pass up in this particular tournament with this particular stack.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:15 PM

I think I call its very close though. If villain is good I call because I think he wants us to raise.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I call its very close though. If villain is good I call because I think he wants us to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's going to get 3 streets of value from us when he's ahead here with set/2-pair, but calling here means we're not going to be getting that value for ourselves when he has a draw and is still behind on the river (not to mention he can do stuff like c/shove turn and get us to make a bad fold as well).

And I don't get the "he wants us to raise" part. I mean, over half his range is hands we are beating and he wants us to raise when he has those too...

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2007, 02:28 AM

i like just calling, not cause this guys range is so tight -- because i think it's pretty wide; but kinda just to see what button cold caller does. i think if we raise he'll fold a lot of stuff that he might decide to raise with if we just call. so by calling i think we have to call buttons raise if he makes it... maybe shove if dynamics were right.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i like just calling, not cause this guys range is so tight -- because i think it's pretty wide; but kinda just to see what button cold caller does. i think if we raise he'll fold a lot of stuff that he might decide to raise with if we just call. so by calling i think we have to call buttons raise if he makes it... maybe shove if dynamics were right.

[/ QUOTE ]

v good point, i completely ignored button.