Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Stuff to do in Vancouver?

[ QUOTE ]
The best value for sushi/korean BBQ/hot pot is Shabusen on Granville and 14th. Anyone agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shabusen is HORRID, invented for people who hate fish. There are a thousand better places for either sushi or Korean BBQ in Vancouver.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh shoot. You just reminded me that I'm gonna need Canadian monies. I was planning to bring some American dollars in my pocket - should I get them converted at a bank when I arrive in Vancouver or beforehand? Also, how hard is it gonna be for me to obtain a form of ID? Not necessarily a DL but if I walk into a DMV and request an ID, would they be able to give me one the same day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Money - wherever. If you really want to be balla just pay for [censored] in USD. Exchange rate is like 15%, but most places (non-banks) give between 0%(par) and 8%. American money is pretty much accepted everywhere though.

ID - not sure why you'd need this, but you aint walking into icbc and getting an ID on the same day. I have a BCID and I got it rushed, and it took 3 days. And I'm pretty sure it's only for British Columbia residents anyway.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The best value for sushi/korean BBQ/hot pot is Shabusen on Granville and 14th. Anyone agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shabusen is HORRID, invented for people who hate fish. There are a thousand better places for either sushi or Korean BBQ in Vancouver.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shabusen is awesome, I have no idea what you're on.

There are definitely better pure sushi places, but for the sushi + Korean BBQ combination, Shabusen is sweet. I definitely recommend it for some all you can eat goodness.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, how hard is it gonna be for me to obtain a form of ID? Not necessarily a DL but if I walk into a DMV and request an ID, would they be able to give me one the same day?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you have a passport, cause if you don't your trip is going to be much shorter than you think.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shabusen is awesome, I have no idea what you're on.

There are definitely better pure sushi places, but for the sushi + Korean BBQ combination, Shabusen is sweet. I definitely recommend it for some all you can eat goodness.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed 100%. Every time we go up to vancouver we make a stop at shabu ... dinner is definitely better than lunch (although lunch is probably the best deal you can get anywhere)
Old 01-29-2007, 07:06 PM

Id rent a car and check out Whister BC, its about an hour north and the drive there is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where would you suggest to go for a better place like Shabusen? thanks
Old 01-29-2007, 10:01 PM

in general these places don't have the freshest seafood. in terms of value shabusen is fine but for the connoiseur there are better options for great sushi in the city if you're willing to fork over the cash. i don't go out for korean bbq much so i couldn't tell you where the good ones are in the city.

for dimsum, check out sun sui wah on main
Old 01-29-2007, 10:21 PM

It's the combo of good sushi + good korean bbq that makes shabusen so good. It's not the best in either, but it's damn good in both departments.

I'll vouch for sun sui wah though.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:36 AM

Dim Sum in China Town