Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2007, 03:02 AM

Default Bad Commercial: Full Tilt one with Jesus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEiazglPjuc

When I download the WSOP episodes, some FT commercials are added in. One commercial I particularly don't like is the Chris Ferguson one, where he sets a trap against an opponent where the opponent is drawing to a 9. The opponent then hits his 9 on the river. Ferguson then ends the commercial by saying, "sometimes making the right play isn't enough; but there's always another hand."

I personally think that poker marketing should appeal to new players; the casual players. It is fish and neewbies that keep the game thriving. The poker economy is made healthier by these casual players who don't understand the game, and think it is about having fun, and taking crazy gambles.

By presenting a commercial where the protagonist gets drawn out, I think that FT is presenting an unappealing side of poker, that won't appeal to rookies. I think to attract the fish and the rookies, poker has to be presented as fun, wild and crazy. It has to be a good time, and make you feel good. Getting drawn out makes you feel sad. I think this commercial does nothing to attract players.

If the commercial showed the fun side of sucking out on someone, or if the commercial was about outdrawing a name pro, and winning a big pot off of him, that would present a much better image for attracting new players.