Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: AA gets checkraised by Tight villain

Bet $4 on flop for value and to minimize playback. I don't see how a 18/15 has many hands such as A4ss and 98ss in his range cold-calling from the SB. So with the description you gave, I'm pretty sure you're WB the majority of his range and flipping with a negligible portion provided he never c/r hands like 99 here. Fold.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:15 PM
 is offline

Ok, if I do call flop, I have to decide here what line to take on turn if:
1) villain bets 2/3 pot
2) villain checks

Is this correct ?
1) fold
2) shove (anything less, we are giving him pretty decent odds with a big draw, correct?)
Old 09-11-2007, 03:46 PM

I can't fold aces here, we are in position and he could have alot of hands that we beat. If you c-bet alot he can even think that you missed your hand and c/r with AT+s, 88+ and such hands, no? Doesn't a villain like this play his flushdraws like he played this hand? Another thing to have in mind is that if he is fairly competent he knows that a flop like this is perfect to (semi)bluff against your range. The only hands we would not like him to have here is 33, 55 and 66. No way this guy calls with a hand like 74s.

I think it's way to weak to just fold this. One argument I buy is that you've not invested alot of money in the hand, don't wan't to play big pots against this specific opponent and therefore just lay it down. But if theres not a) alot of terrible players on the table or b) you make money overall against this guy playing small pots, and c-bet him alot(if he folds easy to c-bets) or whatever, I think you should find another table.

I call and see what happens on the turn. If he checks to me I bet big, if he bets out; THEN i fold.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:14 PM

I think people are leaving out AJs, ATs, A9s,A8s, A7s
Old 09-11-2007, 04:17 PM

If he checks the turn, why would that put us in a sticky situation? The only hands we are afraid of here is a set IMO. On that board, he would never check a set on the turn unless a really scary card for him hits. Wich obv. is a good thing for us, because then we would have a lot of FE if we bet.
Am I totally off on this one?
I really think it's terrible to just fold this flop, and I refuse to believe that calling is -EV.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:31 PM

What card do we want to see on the turn, except the one ace we want to hit, that will make us feel safe? I think a K or a Q only. If a J comes and he has AJs he has picked up another 2 outs and ok maybe he pushes. But anycard bellow a J and then what, if a 10 9 8 7 6 comes does he now have a set? I think his raise on the flop is a good one because you are also playing pretty tight and alot of the time you could have AK or AQ and just be CB and he has every reason to raise with alot of hands. I think the argument to call the flop is strong and i'd maybe do the same to see what happens on the turn but im just wondering how often is the turn going to be a safe card for us?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:32 PM

Good point jackrich.
I don't really know. I think I look at this situation in a bit screwed up way . I'll do my best to explain..

I believe we can pretty much narrow his holdings in to three categories:
1. Flushdraws. Every non-spade helps us.
2. Set. Every A, spade, 4, and maybe some other cards that would be scarecards for him helps us(or is he not folding a set either way? Depends on villain, I guess.)
3. Bluff/semibluff, all cards are in our favour/doesn't really matter what card hits.
The hard part about this hand IMO is finding out what he actually has, and I think the turn would help us alot to find that out.

When I'm calling this flop, to some extent I'm not concerned about what card hits on the turn. I'm more interested in what he does, us having position and all.

I think I look at it this way; if he has a set he will definately make a bet on the turn, and then we can safely fold. Only exeption is if a super scarecard for his set hits, then he would propably check, right(and we could bet making his decision very hard)? This is somewhat dependent on villain, because if he bets no matter what card hits we're pretty lost and might as well fold the flop.
If he has a flushdraw he will check, and if he is semibluffing/bluffing he will check.
So, if he checks the turn, I'm propably betting no matter what. I can't think of any hands he would have the balls to c/r with(and if he does, then gg nh), and he would have a very hard time calling a bet if he has a hand he is checking the turn with.
If he is very aggro/ballsy he would propably make a great play(IMO) and bet the turn anyhow, thus making us fold. But looking at his stats I don't think villain is that kind of a player.
Now, this might all be a result of how I play(I play way more laggy than OP, and therefore get raised more i suppose) and it might be one of the reasons I have pretty high variance.

I might be overthinking this, but I pretty much know this is how I would play the hand. It might not be the right thing to do at all, I dont consider myself that good a player yet. But I just hate to lay this down on the flop.

Meh, I dont know. I give up [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2007, 02:23 PM

I think I call this and pray the turn is a blank and go with it there. Our equity may kinda suck -- with two cards to come. But we all know what happens when the turn blanks on a combo draw and his equity doesn't smack us down with only one card. If he's got the Asxs type hand, his equity is far lower than he thinks.

Why the smallish flop bet? Smells of missed overs...
Old 09-11-2007, 05:46 PM

I can see a couple of different scenarious where we might be ahead enough to get it in on the flop against a tight, solid opponent:

It all depends on what you think he will call with from the sb.
1. He calls with quite a lot of suited cards to "outplay" you, the NFD is going to love this flop. Also hands like 67, KQs might start to feel frisky on this flop. Basically more hands make draws than made hands on this board and if he is any good he is going to try to make moves with many of them, not just combo draws.

2. His range from the sb is basically 22-TT. He folds 22, but how would he play 44, 77-TT? If you think he has any kind of idea of not turning made hands into a bluff, like he would really hate to get it in with 99 etc on this board, this is a fold. But this is not really standard tagfish behaviour, they raise to find out where they are, inflate the pot in marginal spots etc.

First I was like omg fold, but after thinking a bit more about it I like call flop, shove any non-spade turn. Really, the only opponent I wouldn´t like this spot against is a guy who only calls occasionally with suited cards and who seems to be ok at tayloring the size of the pot to his hand.