Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Re: UFC 75 -- is it live on Spike?

I didn't think the decision was that bad. I would have had it 29-28 Hamill like everyone else, but the second round was hardly lopsided. Just like in boxing, people are always jaded by one guy getting his ass beat in one round when the other two rounds are close, but the reality of MMA is that there are no 10-8 rounds, which is why the 10 point must system doesn't work.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:27 PM

As a brit obviously I wanted Bisping to win at the end I thought it may go as a draw, guess I agree the point above that the 10 point system doesnt work. For me thought it was pretty even first half Hamill second half Bisping, but being in London and Bisping in the papers all week defending MMA against calls to ban it didnt come as a surprise the way it went.

Talk in brit papers today is Lesner is pretty sure to join, he has been in training in a good camp and has had a win in a low class MMA fight, White quoted as being impressed with his attitude etc. Another ex WWE wont be joining namely Kurt Angle.

Sun UFC Story

I expect a few more reguler events in the UK as well 20,000 where ticket prices were $100-$550 is pretty impressive and way more than the WWE was charging when they used to come over, being on Setanta and the brit bill definatly seemed to raise the profile of the sport in the mainstream media.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anybody think fights should be longer than 3 rounds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think every fight should go 5 rounds, but there are a lot of non-title, main event caliber matches that should. Mirko/Gonzaga, Evans/Ortiz, GSP/Koscheck, just to name a few recent fights.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anybody think fights should be longer than 3 rounds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think every fight should go 5 rounds, but there are a lot of non-title, main event caliber matches that should. Mirko/Gonzaga, Evans/Ortiz, GSP/Koscheck, just to name a few recent fights.

[/ QUOTE ]
i dont think the ufc has the authority to do this, its up to the athletic commissions. i dunno how flexible they would be
Old 09-10-2007, 02:08 PM

Yeah, they do. I'm not faulting the UFC for it, but it's something I'd like to see changed (in addition to the scoring system and knees to the head of a downed opponent).
Old 09-10-2007, 03:10 PM

Hamill was getting tired by the end of the first round, and started struggling to land strikes after that. I still gave him the fight, but he would have won easily if he hadn't gassed.