Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Thinking of learning stud

It depends where, and which games. I usually play 5/10 at the Trop in AC. I find it looser (and more social) than the Taj 5/10 games. The Trop has their share of old regulars, but seems to attract more "housewives", Asian gambler-types, and hold 'em players waiting for seats. The 3/6 game is also good, despite no ante. The pots get pretty big for a low limit game.

IMO, the "poker boom"/TV has pretty much killed off low limit stud. Before 2002 or so, there were lots of younger players (myself included) playing stud. Now, 99% of these guys (and newer casual players) play 1/2NL. Long story short, there are still fish in stud games, you just have to look harder and harder for them now.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:13 AM

No ante-stud games? Eeeek, that's a first for me.

Anyhow, myself wanting to master stud for over a year I'll say this. SSI and 7Stud for Experts are quite different from each other. SSI is for high ante, while the latter is for medium.

Though sometimes I prefer to agree more with the 2+2 book than Brunson's regarding rolled ups, etc (Even in regards to high ante structures). In fact, the 2+2 one even gives reasons why you should NOT slowplay them.

I wonder if Reese ever changed his opinion on the matter. I know at the of his writing that 'he knew' he was playing them differently than the orthodox belief.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:38 AM

The model that Chip uses in S/S is the $10/20 game, right? That's a low-ante game.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:51 AM

Andy, Chip claimed the structure he was using was indeed for 10/20 game, but with 2$ ante.

And while some may claim this is medium ante, it comes to 20% of the SB. Am I correct in assuming that 25% of the SB is considered high-ante?

Because the 7CS for Advanced players, states it is for the 15/30 level with a MEDIUM ante (2$). However, this same 2$ brings the ante to 13% of the SB.

That seems quite a difference.

Most the places I play at are 25% of the SB, so I definitely choose Chip over 7CSforA. in that regard.

13% << 20% < 25%