Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Thinking of learning stud (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=524987)

Mygtar 10-17-2007 12:26 PM

Thinking of learning stud

Hello all. I am a live 4/8 limit hold'em player, but I am thinking about learning stud. What books would you suggest as a good begining?

Thanks in advance.

Andy B 10-17-2007 01:34 PM

Re: Thinking of learning stud

Seven Card Stud for Advanced Players: 21st Century Edition. I'm assuming you've studied poker some, so you don't need to bother with so-called beginners books. If you happen to have S/S, Chip's section on the game is very good.

MRBAA 10-17-2007 01:44 PM

Roy West's beginner book is probably the best introduction to basic stud-specific concepts.

Chip Reese's section in SS2 is also a good, higher level primer.

7CSFAP is a good read for higher limit games, but it's pretty dated and alot of the advice depends on very specific scenarios -- definitely not "the bible" any longer (if it ever was).

Mason Malmuth also has some good essays on stud in his various collections, and Jeffage has written a few excellent recent articles -- probably the best reading for higher limit stud guidance is his articles and posts.

AlanBostick 10-17-2007 04:53 PM

I heartily second the recommendation of Roy West's book. I read 7CSFAP early in my stud career, and it derailed me from being a winner and gave me a case of FPS it took six months to overcome.

Salmon 10-17-2007 08:49 PM

FPS?

RustyBrooks 10-17-2007 09:42 PM

Fancy Play Syndrome

MrBlueNose 10-18-2007 04:10 AM

I always recommend Wests for beginners. It teaches some basic concepts, and it also drills into your head to fold, fold, fold. While there are parts of the book that made me roll my eyes, and I think Roys a bit too weak-tight....one mistake I see players make, especially beginners, is staying in a hand way too much, with the ol "just one more card" syndrome. Wests book generally drums that out of them.

mephisto 10-18-2007 05:18 AM

Speaking about the stud world in generally, how are the games? Are they stale, is there a re-surgence of interest in the game, any fish or full of regulars?

Mygtar 10-18-2007 08:33 AM

Thank you one and all. Looks like I will be getting Roy's book along with SCSFAP. I already have a copy of S/S so I will start reading the stud chapter 1st especially because it is written by a poker god.

MRBAA 10-18-2007 09:29 AM

At high limits live, I have the impression the games are quite good. At the 10-20 limits I play, they are beatable but can't compare to a juicy 1-2 n/l he game, simply because the players are generally older and more experienced.

Online, the .50-1 and 1-2 games are very soft and beatable for huge win rates (4bb/100) if you are a good hand reader, play solid starters and know how to play aggressively in the right spots.

At 2-4, the games are often depressingly solid -- there are several regulars I want no part of head up, and I love to play head up.