Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Daily, weekly, monthly publications worth subscribing to?

[ QUOTE ]
Barron, I am rarely stunned, but that actually has stunned me. In a good sense, in that part of me wishes I did the same. I already wish I never had to sleep as I get annoyed by the lack of time in every day, so to fit in 6 hours or so a week or reading would be hard, but I think so worth it. To understand the current global climate from every continent, both politically and economically, would be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

to be fair, i won't be able to keep up this reading schedule when i get a job. it just won't be feasible. especially if i have to drive vs. commuter rail. with the latter at least i'd get 1.5hrs each day.

currently, i'd estimate i read about 3-5 hours a day. despite that, i'm still a laboriously slow reader.

Barron
Old 07-30-2007, 09:22 PM

My reading(s) are very similar to Barron's

1) The Economist - when it arrives on Friday or Saturday, I aim to be through the Business, Finance/Econ, and U.S. sections by end of day Sunday. I'll selectively add/subtract articles from this timeline based on how appealing they seem. I read the rest during the course of the week.

2) WSJ - I read this online (paid subs.) at lunch during work, or sneak some alt-tab action in when I can. I don't read as much of this as I would like.

3) FT - I receive the FT every morning, and it goes straight into the laptop bag. Almost always, it gets cracked open over dinner, and I spend roughly an hour on this paper. I absolutely [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] their weekend edition although less so for the finance topics. Their style of coverage is different, but complimentary, to the WSJ, and I was horrified when I heard GE/Pearson (owner of FT) were mulling a bid for WSJ. I would've hated to see FT and WSJ consolidate.

4) "Altnews" - My company, which administers all kinds of funds and has their own mutual funds and FOFs in the alternatives world, has a news aggregator that pulls from WSJ, NYT, etc. and sends it out to a distribution list. Since I moved into private equity admin, I now get a good 10-15 stories delivered into a separate folder in Outlook every day. This has the added bonus of being more "acceptable" to read during business hours.

It's a lot of reading, but it's highly worth it. I'm not really looking for trading ideas (somewhat for investment ideas), but looking to make myself generally more knowledgeable in my own field of work and with clients (future contacts).
Old 07-30-2007, 09:35 PM

I read FT and the Economist.

I used to read the Journal religiously but I decided that I could find most of what they were publishing elsewhere. I can read their interesting career columns at careerjournal and I can get better market and industry news from FT and bloomberg.com.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) The Economist - when it arrives on Friday or Saturday, I aim to be through the Business, Finance/Econ, and U.S. sections by end of day Sunday. I'll selectively add/subtract articles from this timeline based on how appealing they seem. I read the rest during the course of the week.

2) WSJ - I read this online (paid subs.) at lunch during work, or sneak some alt-tab action in when I can. I don't read as much of this as I would like.

3) FT - I receive the FT every morning, and it goes straight into the laptop bag. Almost always, it gets cracked open over dinner, and I spend roughly an hour on this paper. I absolutely [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] their weekend edition although less so for the finance topics. Their style of coverage is different, but complimentary, to the WSJ, and I was horrified when I heard GE/Pearson (owner of FT) were mulling a bid for WSJ. I would've hated to see FT and WSJ consolidate.

4) "Altnews" - My company, which administers all kinds of funds and has their own mutual funds and FOFs in the alternatives world, has a news aggregator that pulls from WSJ, NYT, etc. and sends it out to a distribution list. Since I moved into private equity admin, I now get a good 10-15 stories delivered into a separate folder in Outlook every day. This has the added bonus of being more "acceptable" to read during business hours.

It's a lot of reading, but it's highly worth it. I'm not really looking for trading ideas (somewhat for investment ideas), but looking to make myself generally more knowledgeable in my own field of work and with clients (future contacts).

[/ QUOTE ]

thats great.

i dont' know what you do that doesn't allow you to read the FT/WSJ during business hours.

i'd get at least 30mins-1hr of "reading time" just kinda baked into my schedule at my old job. it was expected that you knew what was going on and could indepently think about it.

Barron
Old 07-31-2007, 12:57 AM

THanks for all the replies. I think this is what I was looking for. I'll check these out once I finish my books. Lots and lots of reading to do. Thanks again, especially DcifrThs.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats great.

i dont' know what you do that doesn't allow you to read the FT/WSJ during business hours.

i'd get at least 30mins-1hr of "reading time" just kinda baked into my schedule at my old job. it was expected that you knew what was going on and could indepently think about it.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally I can, but when I'm going through "busy cycles" I try to keep it less obvious (perception - eventhough I'm still logging in thru VPN at night). I've encouraged my staff to read, but to them that often means espn.com [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

If for nothing else, it's extremely helpful for business writing.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:06 AM

With football on the way.......the GOLD SHEET and PHIL STEELES newsletters.