Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 12:45 AM

Default Re: I need some golf clubs

you can get a set of wilson staff tour blades for $30 on ebay.

The best club ever made was the ping eye-2. You can pick up a used set of these on ebay for $2-300.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:04 AM

all used:

irons: ping eye 2 or tommy armour 845 (steel)
woods: callaway great big bertha or taylormade (any) (graphite)
putter: try out a bunch, whatever feels good and works well.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:08 AM

Play it again sports for a used set. Can't go wrong with any pings. Suggest cavity backed irons for a larger sweet spot. Cobra and callaway also ok. Any taylormade driver with a head size of over 360 is also fine. For wedges, used clevelands or vokey only.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:08 AM

I think the Tommy Armour 845's are one of the best mid-range (-$300) cavity back irons on the market.

I got a used set of Mizuno Pro II's for ~$450 and will never buy anything but a Mizuno forged club. They are amazing. I really like Hogan's as well. Wouldn't recommend a forged iron for anyone above a 12 to 15 handicap (unless you can hit them)
Old 05-08-2006, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the Tommy Armour 845's are one of the best mid-range (-$300) cavity back irons on the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. They're a nice looking club too.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got a used set of Mizuno Pro II's for ~$450 and will never buy anything but a Mizuno forged club. They are amazing. I really like Hogan's as well. Wouldn't recommend a forged iron for anyone above a 12 to 15 handicap (unless you can hit them)

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] my MP-16's, even though I am definitely not good enough for them. Bladaes just look way nicer when setting up, and feel so much better on those few occasions I pure it.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:40 AM

Well based on your experience you are going to want to purchase what they refer to as a Super Game Improvement Iron which will be perfect as you develop in your golf game. That are basically shovels that will let you hit the ball high and straight. All of the suggestions will run you 500-600 new, but you should be able to find them cheaper on eBay or in a golf store used.

Adams Idea a2
Callaway Big Bertha
Cobra 3400I X/H
MacGregor MacTech NVG2
Nike CPR Hybrid
Tour Edge Bazooka JMax QL

Any of these will work great as irons. Very easy to hit and all are a pretty decent value for golf clubs.

For wedges I would look at Tour Edge Bazooka JMax wedges because they are only $50 each and perform with the best of the big brands. Should probably just start with a 52 and a 56 to compliment your irons. Add a 60 after playing for a little while and figuring out your short game.

Driver and Fairway woods can run you a chunk of change. But if you look for older models that will perform well enough for your experience level you can find some nice bargains. Also look on eBay for used stuff and you will save some more money. It's hard to suggest exact models for the woods because a lot of it is personal preference. One of the best drivers on the market is the Nike Sasquatch, but there are a lot of golfer who would refuse to use it no matter how much it helped their game because of the way it looks at address.

That should give you some general information. Definitely go to a golf shop where they will be able to make specific recommendations for length, lie, and shaft flex. All of these can make a big difference in how you strike the ball.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any taylormade driver with a head size of over 360 is also fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with beginners who actually want to improve using clubs this big and forgiving. Without getting some feedback from the club, you'll never know how you're actually hitting the ball, which is key to improving your swing.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with beginners who actually want to improve using clubs this big and forgiving. Without getting some feedback from the club, you'll never know how you're actually hitting the ball, which is key to improving your swing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still hitting an out-dated Titleist 975D, 260cc. I can shape shots, and it bombs. I can't stand swinging a basketball on a stick. I'll most likely keep the 975D forever.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing as he may NEVER use a driver less than 460cc in his ENTIRE life at this point, I don't think it will matter much.

Also, your comment makes me think you want every beginner to start with blades. That doesn't help. A lot of golf is confidence, and having clubs that are big and forgiving wil help him score better and build that confidence. And that will motivate him to imrpove by taking lessons which is the only place his swing will probably improve.

In addition feedback doesn't mean crap because they don't know what to do with that information other than oh I hit that bad. And honestly even with a real big [censored] club you will be able to tell when you don't quite hit it right, only the ball will still advance towards the hole as opposed to advancing further out of bounds...