Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Re: What about Everything Else?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So there are too many details in the universe for there to be a God? The details is where he hangs out isn't it?

Or maybe she's just an overachiever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I believe there are too many details for it to make any sense that we are His most important project/creation. If you want to believe there are other projects (aliens?) just as important to God, that's different. But I don't think this is what most theists believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you have to be the most important thing to a deity in order for it to exist? Needy much?
Old 10-07-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So there are too many details in the universe for there to be a God? The details is where he hangs out isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I believe there are too many details for it to make any sense that we are His most important project/creation. If you want to believe there are other projects (aliens?) just as important to God, that's different. But I don't think this is what most theists believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you have to be the most important thing to a deity in order for it to exist? Needy much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to follow... I'M not the one saying we have to be the most important thing. Mostly Christians say that, as well as other religions who fancy themselves (and humans) to be so very important to God.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to follow... I'M not the one saying we have to be the most important thing. Mostly Christians say that, as well as other religions who fancy themselves (and humans) to be so very important to God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I follow. It just seems that of all God's failings not being high enough up on his Christmas card list seems like the dumbest one to lose faith over. And the easiest to explain away using the whole omnipotence thing.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:51 PM

I dont think we're the most important thing in the universe - I think we're the most important thing to us. I think that's why our holy books focus on the (claimed) personal relationship with God, not because we have some fundamental importance.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To those who think that we humans (and earth) are God's most important creation.... How do you explain everything else? Why are we nestled in the corner of a small lawn, among the entire solar system?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had a precious stone, say a diamond, and you wanted to keep it safe from those that would steal it, wouldn't you hide it where they couldnt find it?

poervintage
Old 10-08-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To those who think that we humans (and earth) are God's most important creation.... How do you explain everything else? Why are we nestled in the corner of a small lawn, among the entire solar system?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had a precious stone, say a diamond, and you wanted to keep it safe from those that would steal it, wouldn't you hide it where they couldnt find it?

poervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

God is worried I'm going to steal the universe from him?

hmmmm..... don't blame him, luckyme
Old 10-09-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no. Just the Earth.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On your knees, take a single grain of sand and drop it on your lawn. Now find this particular single grain of sand nestled in the dirt among the blades of grass plants. Now stand up and step back.

Keep going back. Across the street, across the neighborhood, across your city, across the nearest ocean shore, across the ocean itself, past the moon, mars, jupiter, now pluto. Look in the direction of the grain of sand in the grass. Remember it?

This grain of sand is what earth is to the rest of the cosmos. *warning: I'm guessing, but even if I'm off you get the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

More likely earth would be an amoeba on that grain of sand.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:37 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

More likely earth would be an amoeba on that grain of sand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it would be more of a fluke! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] sorry... I couldn't help myself.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no. Just the Earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not you, "those that would steal it". I am intrigued by these planet thieves God is hiding us from. Tell us more.