Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   What about Everything Else? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=517298)

Lestat 10-07-2007 01:22 AM

What about Everything Else?

On your knees, take a single grain of sand and drop it on your lawn. Now find this particular single grain of sand nestled in the dirt among the blades of grass plants. Now stand up and step back.

Keep going back. Across the street, across the neighborhood, across your city, across the nearest ocean shore, across the ocean itself, past the moon, mars, jupiter, now pluto. Look in the direction of the grain of sand in the grass. Remember it?

This grain of sand is what earth is to the rest of the cosmos. *warning: I'm guessing, but even if I'm off you get the idea.

To those who think that we humans (and earth) are God's most important creation.... How do you explain everything else? Why are we nestled in the corner of a small lawn, among the entire solar system?

This might seem like a sophomoric question, but it's important to me. This alone, is reason enough for me to conclude there is no such thing as a personal God. Is everything else just fluff? It makes no sense to me.

PLOlover 10-07-2007 01:35 AM

Re: What about Everything Else?

[ QUOTE ]
To those who think that we humans (and earth) are God's most important creation.... How do you explain everything else? Why are we nestled in the corner of a small lawn, among the entire solar system?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this was explored in some scifi book, maybe one by larry niven. the bottom line was that salvation through jesus was gods word to the people of earth, and would not apply to space aliens.

in other words god could have revealed himself to numerous intelligent speicies in the universe so it doesn't mean we are most important.

Nielsio 10-07-2007 02:08 AM

BLASPHEMY!

How dare you talk about god as though we can evaluate the claim of his existence or even his concept!?

PLOlover 10-07-2007 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BLASPHEMY!

How dare you talk about god as though we can evaluate the claim of his existence or even his concept!?

[/ QUOTE ]

r u talking about he real god or the god in scifi book? (lol)

Metric 10-07-2007 05:15 AM

What if that single grain of sand had growing on it the first massively successful life form the planet had ever seen?

agent_fish 10-07-2007 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this was explored in some scifi book, maybe one by larry niven. the bottom line was that salvation through jesus was gods word to the people of earth, and would not apply to space aliens.

in other words god could have revealed himself to numerous intelligent speicies in the universe so it doesn't mean we are most important.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about the intelligent people on our own planet that god chose not to reveal himself to? Asians for example

kerowo 10-07-2007 10:28 AM

So there are too many details in the universe for there to be a God? The details is where he hangs out isn't it?

Or maybe she's just an overacheiver.

warrantofice 10-07-2007 10:33 AM

Whenever earth was hit by that massive asteroid that killed the dinosaurs..wouldn't that have flung bateria into outer space

Lestat 10-07-2007 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So there are too many details in the universe for there to be a God? The details is where he hangs out isn't it?

Or maybe she's just an overacheiver.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I believe there are too many details for it to make any sense that we are His most important project/creation. If you want to believe there are other projects (aliens?) just as important to God, that's different. But I don't think this is what most theists believe.

Suwalski 10-07-2007 11:39 AM

I consider myself to be pretty damn amazing, i don't see why he wouldn't choose me to be his most important creation. The rest of you guys have pretty similar DNA as I, so your also pretty important.