Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2006, 02:33 PM

Default Re: How do deal with a bunch of MP3s?

[ QUOTE ]

How do you keep all your Itunes songs on the comp but a limited selection on the pod? Everytime I hook my pod up to my comp it just auto updates/adds songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Open iTunes
Go to Edit --> Preferences.
Go to iPod tab.
Select a radio button other than "Automatically update all songs and playlsits."

Play around in your preferences.

iTunes sucks.

I don't use it for file/library management/transfer anymore now that Redchair's Anapod Explorer supports album art.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:42 PM

[quote

iTunes sucks.

I don't use it for file/library management/transfer anymore now that Redchair's Anapod Explorer supports album art.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I had never seen that software before. It looks pretty good. I think I'll give it a try tonight.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you keep all your Itunes songs on the comp but a limited selection on the pod? Everytime I hook my pod up to my comp it just auto updates/adds songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be talking out of my ass here because I don't have iTunes in front of me, but I believe songs that are "unchecked" won't be updated to your iPod, either.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:21 PM

Mine is a different situation though. I use mp3s to dj with now (using Serato).

The real key for me is physical organization on disk, and smart playlists. I have everything organized by genre folders on disk, and then individual albums under the genres. I don't like to many layers of directories either. I like that I can open up my "disco/80s" folder and just browse EVERYTHING in that genre, even multiple records of the same artist (vs having an Artist folder level).

There are other interesting hints I could give, but they are mostly only serato/djing oriented type things.

But for regular listening, I have a 60gig ipod. I find that simple playlists with individual songs work best for my ipod, rather than loading whole albums. It is very difficult for me to browse anything but playlists on the iPod (only shows name of album OR name of artist, not both).

Lastly, you REALLY should backup your whole collection. Trust me. Just buy a big external drive, and get a good backup prog to mirror you whole thing. Nothing is worse than losing all you music due to a crash.

To that end, does anyone have any suggestions for backing up a 500gig drive to two 250gig drives? They are external usb 250's so I can't do that trick where windows thinks they are one drive. And my backup prog won't allow 2 target destinations. Perhaps there is one that does?

-pj
Old 01-10-2006, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was insane also, until I noticed he ran SSL. That's a pretty big collection, but nothing really shocking for a DJ.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was insane also, until I noticed he ran SSL. That's a pretty big collection, but nothing really shocking for a DJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, if the average DJ has a CD/LP collection of about 3,000 albums it's not shocking, I mean, what, that's only like $30,000 worth of music, not shocking at all.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:51 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

my collection is growing close to 10k and this is exclusively from downloading from allofmp3 or using EAC to burn CD's. my 4gig ipod mini has never come close to being able to hold my collection. but 44k is just incredible, nice dude.

rj
Old 01-10-2006, 05:57 PM

eh....it really is only because I run SSL. It has revolutionized how I dj. And I had to learn how to deal with large scale mp3 collections via trial and error.

I was at about 20k songs when I decided I needed to move to the genre folder layout on disk, forcing me to redo ALL of my Serato crates. That sucked.

Now my biggest problem is backing up/mirroring my collection.

-pj
Old 01-10-2006, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, if the average DJ has a CD/LP collection of about 3,000 albums it's not shocking, I mean, what, that's only like $30,000 worth of music, not shocking at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say the "average" DJ has this many records, but a lot do. Also, using SSL allows you to add to your music collection so easily.

**Warning-Poker Content**

To put it into perspective-Using vinyl is like single tabling. It's good enough for most people, and it's how everything started, but multitabling has changed poker and allows players to get in a LOT more hands than ever before.

In the same way, DJ's started on vinyl, but SSL has come around recently, and is really revolutionizing the DJ world. Anything you can find on MP3 you can DJ with, which allows you to increase your music collection at an incredible rate, the same way you can get in tons of hands multitabling.

**End Poker Content**

So, that's how I see it.