Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Pot Limit Omaha Books

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or better question, why isn't there something about this in the FAQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because FAQs on 2p2 are not supposed to contain book reccomendations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it be possible just to list them without recommending them? Because it is actually quite silly to have a discussion list where you have the same question asked over and over again, frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the best possible think would be to have a link in the FAQ to a thread discussing Omaha books. That might be OK but I'm not the mod anymore [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Once again, HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is that that is really only a portion of the book, and it's probably the best overall PLO book out there.

But at least at this forum, he'll always be known as the queer king(?) of the shortstackers.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've just bought the Stewart Reuben book and I like it. It's in the form of full hands that he's played or observed which seem to be all live and you have multiple choice questions on each betting decision in each hand.

And then he analyzes the hand afterwards. The book is entertaining as well as teaching you, soit's well worth the money in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has been a while since I read this book, so my recollection might not be 100%.

Overall, I was disappointed by this book. I had low/moderate experience when I read it (maybe 6-800 hours).

To his credit, he does develop a framework for evaluating hands and situations. If you are able to apply this thinking, then you've certainly learned something.

However, his examples aren't relevant for the games that most of us on this forum are playing everyday. He was playing super deep-stacked poker (500+BB) against a group of people he'd played against for 100's/1000's of hours.

In fact, there are several times in the book where the "answer" to the question is based on the fact that a call is correct because it was Fat Louie who made the bet.

So the value of the book only really comes if you can train yourself to think through every hand using the same process. The content/examples/"correct answers" in the book are irrelevant and many times misleading.

Start playing like he does in a literal sense on 2/4 (or 1/2, or 3/6, or 5/10) FTP PLO and you'll notice a sharp decline in your performance.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once again, HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lord Voldemort wrote a PLO book? I can't find this on amazon.