Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Theory in high stakes heads up?

[ QUOTE ]

In short players seem to push on any draw at all, no matter how much is in the pot or what they put you on. I have alreay won and lost 6 or 7 all ins against draws on the flop even though the price doesnt seem to be right (most are calling my bets, not even pushing themselves)

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many bad players, but it is also possible that you have overlooked the strength of hands you dismiss as draws.

How often does a flush draw win?

The flush hits about 35% of the time, but that's not the same thing as winning.

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=3057682
Board:A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 0.620
9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 0.380

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=3057686
Board: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 0.436
9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 0.564

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=3057696
Board: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 0.537
A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 0.463

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=3057713
K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 0.157
A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 0.843
Old 09-11-2007, 09:09 PM

>>>There exists an unbeatable strategy for when you only know your own cards and don't do any modeling on the opponent.

What makes you think this? Can you provide a reference/link to substantiate?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
>>>There exists an unbeatable strategy for when you only know your own cards and don't do any modeling on the opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch out, it'll probably be a Rick Roll.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you suffer from reading comprehension?

Did I not say that I was exaggerating when I said you don't have to look at your hole cards . The point I was trying to make is that your hole cards are of less importance at heads up high stakes since many hands don't even go to showdown .

[/ QUOTE ]

There exists an unbeatable strategy for when you only know your own cards and don't do any modeling on the opponent. On the other hand, if aba didn't look at his cards I could beat him and I'm a ridiculously worse player than aba. I agree that hole cards matter less than in other forms of poker but they are still really important.

Maybe I read too much into your previous statement though, or came off as to categorical myself. Sorry about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well kind of true, there is a unbeatable (notice this does not mean perfect or optimal) stategy for short stacked heads up play if you are the small blind.

It doesn't apply to the big blind unless your opponent is also playing a similar stategy (which is almost never the case) and it doesn't apply to deep stacks.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mathematics of poker.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you suffer from reading comprehension?

Did I not say that I was exaggerating when I said you don't have to look at your hole cards . The point I was trying to make is that your hole cards are of less importance at heads up high stakes since many hands don't even go to showdown .

[/ QUOTE ]

There exists an unbeatable strategy for when you only know your own cards and don't do any modeling on the opponent. On the other hand, if aba didn't look at his cards I could beat him and I'm a ridiculously worse player than aba. I agree that hole cards matter less than in other forms of poker but they are still really important.

Maybe I read too much into your previous statement though, or came off as to categorical myself. Sorry about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well kind of true, there is a unbeatable (notice this does not mean perfect or optimal) stategy for short stacked heads up play if you are the small blind.

It doesn't apply to the big blind unless your opponent is also playing a similar stategy (which is almost never the case) and it doesn't apply to deep stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean that we know what the optimal strategy is practically, just that one exists.