Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 06:16 PM

Default Re: OOT Tell me about Austin, TX

what is all this talk about roaches. i don't think i've seen a roach in months. lizards and spiders and scorpians though...
Old 11-01-2006, 06:23 PM

I love Austin. I would move there if I could afford it. I have a family that lives on Lake Travis. That is a happening place.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cockroaches big enough to pump your gas that fly in on the backs of mosquito’s capable of transporting a small family.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, not funny. I [censored] HATE roaches.

[/ QUOTE ]
He's 100% serious. Tree roaches down here are 1.5" to 3" in length. They are [censored] enormous.

However, on the bright side, tree roaches like to live outside. They will generally not "take over" a house like smaller german cockroaches will.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much will I have to deal with seeing them? I'm not going to be like walking into my apartment being bombarded w/ flying roaches am I? I'm seriously skeeved by them (in an unhealthy way) ha ha ha. They wont be covering my car or anything? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've lived here 3+ years and have seen 2 roaches inside my house/apt ever. One was already dead.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've lived here 3+ years and have seen 2 roaches inside my house/apt ever. One was already dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dead one was obviously killed by the other one.

So now...THERE ARE KILLER ROACHES IN AUSTIN!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 06:29 PM

god roaches are so disgusting, i've worked with exterminators who have no problem dealing with bats and their massive gauno piles, bees, all sorts of gross stuff and they still get creeped out by roaches
Old 11-01-2006, 06:37 PM

What is so bad about roaches? They are just lobsters that live on land.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:54 PM

Funny, I just had to drive there and back for work today (from Houston). In fact, I had to inspect a new apartment complex called Broadstone on Metric road just west of I-35. (About 15 minutes North of downtown). It looked like a pretty nice complex.

I personally like Austin for the hills alone. Houston is flat as hell and it's nice to see some hills. One problem I see there is that the infrastructure isn't such that it can facilitate the great rate of growth the city is experiencing. It's a great place to live...IF people stop relocating there! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

EDIT: Austin is by no means a World Class City, like Boston. Austin doesn't really have much of a global economic impact. You obviously won't be able to go to as quality of museums/operas that you would be able to in a world class city. Not sure if you care about this or not.

The good news is, since you are used to saying "Boston", all you have to do is drop the "B".
Old 11-01-2006, 07:00 PM

I've lived in Round Rock for 3 months now. I've seen one roach. It was in the garage. I stepped on it. It died. Whoopee.

I lived in Chicago for the first 23.5 years of my life. I saw hundreds of roaches. One time I went to wipe my face with a towel after brushing my teeth and a roach popped out. I almost ate the [censored] thing.

Roaches are everywhere. If you let the roaches decide where you live then the roaches will have won.

Ok, enough talk about roaches!

The first week I was here was the last week of July. I turned on the local news to see the weather report:

Weatherman: Here's the 5-day forecast folks. Monday, sunny, high of 95. Tuesday, sunny, high of 95. Wednesday, sunny, high of 95. Thursday, sunny, high of 95. Friday, BIG COLD FRONT MOVING IN! High of 93 and partly cloudy!

Anchorman #1: Whoa!

Anchorman #2: Nice!

When I told people in Chicago I was moving here, they were all like "OMG everyone's gonna talk like a stupid hick, you won't be able to understand anyone!" This is absolutely untrue. The only thick southern accents I've encountered are from people who are from different parts of TX. And I very rarely see big ridiculous cowboy hats and boots.

I'd like to get some recommendations from the Austin people here on where to play golf. So far I've only hit balls at the range at the Golfsmith headquarters. I'm so excited about being able to hit off real grass for $9 as opposed to rubber mats for $11 in Chicago, that I've spent all my golf time at the range.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:06 PM

I have nothing but good things to say about Austin. Great people, great places to go out, great outdoor activities. Lots of swimming, biking, music, parties, etc. The only drawback is that the heat can get to you in the summertime and you AC bills can be expensive. I lived there for 14+ years until I moved to Houston and I am trying like hell to get back to Austin. Austin is definately a young fun city.

For living....look in the "Far west" Mopac area of town. Decent older apartments. Close to town. Nice area.

Roaches....never a real problem for me. Just exterminate if you are terrified.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:31 PM

Tenn- Let me join the cacophony saying come down do it now. It's awesome here, and I was prejudiced against it when I moved here. Great food, great activities, do it do it. From your posts, you seem like an awesome person who would fit in well here. Feel free and PM if you have questions, or are coming in and would like to meet some Austinites, I'm sure a group meeting could be arranged.

Ron Burgundy- Well, I was gonna ask what price range, but coming from Chicago, it's all probably pretty cheap here. I recommend the range on A.W. Grimes, just south of TX 45 (Louis Henna). Nice balls, good grass, and cheaper than GS.

For the actual golf, check out Avery Ranch (www.averyranchgolf.com); Teravista (www.teravistagolf.com); Star Ranch (www.starranchgolf.com); Falconhead (www.falconheadaustin.com); and ColoVista down in Bastrop (www.colovista.com). I also love love love ShadowGlen but it is very difficult and so some do not like it.

For deals, check out golfq.com and golf512.com.

PM if you have any ?s.