Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: X Finally Gets a Degree

I guess that depends on the job description of exactly what you expect a "driver" to do for you. Then there's what you're offering for pay and, of course, the perquisites.

I think I could be an excellent driver.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The conundrum I'm in is that the degree does have a very broad application in the business world. I'm leaning heavily in favor of a technology business, because managers with heavy technical backgrounds are hard to come by. Most managers in the technology business don't have a clue about the technology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats on the degree!

At least in my field (semiconductors), the exact opposite of your comment is true. Outside of perhaps finance and HR, virtually all of the managers with whom I've dealt - and that's a large number - have had an extremely solid grasp of the technology. Some can't manage their way out of a paper bag but they sure do know the nuts and bolts, and this extends all the way to the CEO.

Just curious, but what is the basis for your statement?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:40 PM

You see, I worked in the Silly Con Valley myself.

Most managers I've met have fit that whole don't know how to manage. However, a lot of them I have encountered were put in the position they were put in as a way to minimize the damage they could do. The exception to the rule, in my experience is a guy who was really good at his technology job. Most of those guys get kept right where they are because technically talented people are hard to find.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess that depends on the job description of exactly what you expect a "driver" to do for you. Then there's what you're offering for pay and, of course, the perquisites.

I think I could be an excellent driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got no car and it's breaking my heart
But I found a driver and that's a start
Old 08-22-2007, 01:03 AM

Conrats on the degree. Tis a worthwhile achievement.

Not to take anything away from it, but you making it through the NNPP and sub duty actually garners a great deal more respect from me.

What rating were you and how long did you spend on boats?

I had a lot of my nuc enlisted folk go onto super awesome tech jobs even without the piece of paper just because of the sub experience.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:18 AM

Thanks for the nod. Problem is, most people outside the Navy haven't got a clue what the NNPP is or what it takes to get through the school. I have actually been working in some pretty awesome technical jobs since I got out of the service. Semiconductors and particle accelerators.

I sat the panel on an attack boat for four years at sea.

I'm curious as to why you say that "your" nuke enlisted folk went on....

What did you do?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the club. And even better: no one can ever take it away from you!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-22-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the nod. Problem is, most people outside the Navy haven't got a clue what the NNPP is or what it takes to get through the school. I have actually been working in some pretty awesome technical jobs since I got out of the service. Semiconductors and particle accelerators.

I sat the panel on an attack boat for four years at sea.

I'm curious as to why you say that "your" nuke enlisted folk went on....

What did you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was an "O" ganger [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

EA, RCA, MPA, DCA, QAO and even replacement ChEng(when ours went down sick just prior to deployment), BS OOD, and pretty much "fix that problem" JO (cus the CAPT thought a lot more of me than our XO). I also had the pleasure (lololololol) of being pimped out to other deployed boats to fill manning gaps when my boat was on a downcycle. (As a reward, LOL, for being "shithot" in my CO and Squadron CMDR's opinions).

WHen I refer to "my nucs," I meant the guys in my divisions. One of my toughest jobs was tying to keep good guys in when civilian sector power companies would come a calling with $60K+ offers for sparkies and shimmers. TO the chagrin of many of my superiors, I was too honest with my guys, in that I tended to to advise them that spending more time with their families and a tripling of pay was probably better then continuing to "shim for Jesus" whilst also being hassled stupidly by many of my "I'm an Officer and your NOT, therefore I know everything" O ganger brethren.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:26 AM

X - congrats.

[ QUOTE ]
"...What would you do if you were me? Where would you go? What kind of job would you look for? You get to pick. What do you choose?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Do what will make you happy and what you will seriously be interested in. Keep in mind what kind of things you would like to do in the long run, or any long term goals. I personally like opportunities that involves travel, being young makes that easier.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
X - congrats.

[ QUOTE ]
"...What would you do if you were me? Where would you go? What kind of job would you look for? You get to pick. What do you choose?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Do what will make you happy and what you will seriously be interested in. Keep in mind what kind of things you would like to do in the long run, or any long term goals. I personally like opportunities that involves travel, being young makes that easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, ManTooth.

I've done the whole travel thing and it gets old fast. I like to stay put. I want a nice 8-5 job where I stay in one place. I want the opportunity to move up the ladder. I don't want to work for morons. I want morons working for me. So, I guess that gives me a start.

Unemployment is at a record low. I would think that I will be able to find something....