Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Jamie Gold...Worst Possible Winner?

[ QUOTE ]

I wanted a teenager to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not even possible.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:40 AM

Bryan,

I don't think you could possibly be more wrong, especially in your exagerration of "Worst Possible Winner". You mean to insinuate that he is the worst of anyone, or worst of the final table? Because in both cases I think you would be wrong, as I would take Gold over half of the final table.

The exit interview and what Gold is doing with the money has shown that Gold is a pretty cool guy.

And let's be honest, everyone is gonna question at some point if they can handle being the world champion and the celebrity that comes with it.

Furthermore, there are hundreds of people in the poker world I can name off of the top of my head who would prove to be worse than Gold. By far.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:40 AM

I don't see Gold as bad for poker, especially if he donates a large chunk to charity. He's well-spoken, outgoing and played very well at the final table. Seemed to wear his heart on his sleeve a bit, and the dad phone will make everyone go soft over him (as it's obviously going to be shown on ESPN). In short, if he wants to step up I think he can be awesome.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:43 AM

Honestly, ZBT, I think I'd be a much worse winner 'for poker'. Sure, I love playing poker, but I sure hate people. I just wouldn't be at all comfortable as an ambassador. Gold may well be - we'll find out.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:51 AM

And from a "poker" perspective Bryan, let's go down the list:

I would take Gold over Richard Lee, Dan Nassif, and Rhett Butler by about 100 miles, as they are all middle aged and old donks, one of which has a fetish for the Alamo and the other two were the nits that I always saw at Turning Stone.

"Anyone old"
-hes not exactly old

"Anyone who didn't speak english"
-hes got that covered

"Anyone who didn't want to represent the game"
-if u understand that hes an agent for a living and is behind the scenes, then u can understand that in his line of work why there would be some initial doubt that would go along with the celebrity of representing the game.

"Anyone rich"
-I think this is ludicrous. I would rather see a rich man win and give the money towards people with Lou Geighrigs and those who cannot eat than some tard with a 15k bankroll now be set for life and put all the money towards excess and zero contribution to society. just another reason i hate poker. but i'm digressing.

"Anyone who represented themself very poorly at the table"
-gold was guilty of this a little, but how is he that much worse than daniel N.? it's gamesmanship, big deal. its not like he's like Bigler, berating people, or like Hellmuth or Matusow just straight being a-holes.

"Anyone who would cause "average people" to dislike them at the table."
-this didnt seem to be the case, if u would ask technologic, and though hes an insane starcraft duke azn-nerd I would consider him fairly "average"
Old 08-11-2006, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Honestly, ZBT, I think I'd be a much worse winner 'for poker'. Sure, I love playing poker, but I sure hate people. I just wouldn't be at all comfortable as an ambassador. Gold may well be - we'll find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

same.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I wanted a teenager to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not even possible.

[/ QUOTE ]LOL