Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Tournament Circuit/WSOP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Jamie Gold...Worst Possible Winner? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=184028)

ZBTHorton 08-11-2006 06:48 AM

Jamie Gold...Worst Possible Winner?

So. Before the ME began, I had a list of people I hoped would win the WSOP, obviously speaking from a "Good for the game" point of view.

I wanted a woman to win.
I wanted a teenager to win.
I wanted someone good looking to win.
I wanted a poker celebrity to win.
I wanted a poker pro celebrity to win.
I wanted a complete retard to win.

Here's what I didn't want to win:

Anyone old
Anyone who didn't speak english
Anyone who didn't want to represent the game
Anyone rich
Anyone who represented themself very poorly at the table
Anyone who would cause "average people" to dislike them at the table.

Jamie Gold is middle aged. I think an [censored] at the table. Nobody has ever heard of him. He's not good looking. He's not a chick. He doesn't want to represent the game(ala Raymer).

Could anyone worse have won? Am I really off here? I just don't see this guy attracting ANYONE new to the game.

tubasteve 08-11-2006 06:51 AM

Re: Jamie Gold...Worst Possible Winner?

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

OMG ONE TIME

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTT

bonds25 08-11-2006 06:57 AM

I dont think you are far off at all.

ZBTHorton 08-11-2006 07:05 AM

Before this goes any further. I do want to state one time before going any further that I am ONLY talking about from a poker point of view.

I have all the compassion in the world for a guy who's Dad has an incurable disease, and is going to help contribute to that cause.

tubasteve 08-11-2006 07:05 AM

He seemed like a really nice guy in the interview...really torn up about his Dad.

I guess we'll see how ESPN portrays him in the taped coverage, that's what counts anyway.

NoahSD 08-11-2006 07:06 AM

Yeah.. this is -EV.

It may encourage more donks to play like him, limping a ton and talking about their hands (lol). But, this is the first WSOP ME FT where bullying was really blatant (I think), so this'll probably hurt our ability to bully tables a lot.

psyduck 08-11-2006 07:06 AM

I agree to some extent. I think Technologic would have been a GREAT winner (young, Asian). I could see Technologic on poker site TV ads, etc a lot easier than someone like Jamie Gold.

ZBTHorton 08-11-2006 07:08 AM

To me I guess it all depends on how much marketing he wants to do.

Before today, all he talked about in interviews was how he didn't want the responsibility. Now after watching the interview, and seeing him swing himself into full blown PR mode, he looks like he may be more inviting.

Someone with a background in PR would be awesome for the game if they were willing to really work at the responsibility.

Brakara 08-11-2006 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I wanted a teenager to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not even possible.

Clayton 08-11-2006 07:40 AM

Bryan,

I don't think you could possibly be more wrong, especially in your exagerration of "Worst Possible Winner". You mean to insinuate that he is the worst of anyone, or worst of the final table? Because in both cases I think you would be wrong, as I would take Gold over half of the final table.

The exit interview and what Gold is doing with the money has shown that Gold is a pretty cool guy.

And let's be honest, everyone is gonna question at some point if they can handle being the world champion and the celebrity that comes with it.

Furthermore, there are hundreds of people in the poker world I can name off of the top of my head who would prove to be worse than Gold. By far.