Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Re: PHIL GORDON!!!!!!!!!!

The commentary was pretty good but the rock paper scissors 20 times was torture.

Nobody wants to see that crap that much.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:06 AM

He's not a douche, but the people with 80 posts criticizing his play certainly are.

He never claims to be world-class, his books are quite good, I talked to him for a few minutes and he was very nice, and I've never read a negative report from people who've met him.

This reminds me of the thread where that scumbag heckled Moneymaker about his wife. All the douche [censored] laughed it up for a few pages, then the intelligent people called the OP out for the piece of [censored] he is.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:53 PM

With respect to poker - Phil Gordon is a douche. Purporting to be an expert at something (e.g. writing instructional books) and commentating as one when you are clearly just a run of the mill average player is the quintessential definition of being a douche.

As a person, he could be fabulous, and I think talking with him and Richard Brodie about the dot com days and the internet revolution would be fascinating.

In the poker world, however, they are hangers on, groupies, riding the coattails of the real world class players - Ivey, Reese, Brunson, Greenstein - and the others who have popularized the game with their play (DN, Grinder, Lindgren and even Matusow). These are the people who play the real game we love to talk about and study - at the highest levels - with hundreds of thousands, even millions on the line at a time.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:19 PM

I don't see many people jumping to defend PG.

The argument of teaching versus doing can go on forever. One of the best hitting coaches/experts in baseball history was probably Charlie Lau who could not hit a lick in the majors. And I would bet only the most diehard baseball fans have ever heard of or can remember Lau. I guess all one can do is take PGs advice and make thier own decisions.

I tend to think their are too many "Pro's" hawking products so it is like nagivating shark invested waters out there trying to find good poker books or other learning products.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:24 PM

Phil Gordon Done Lost His Mind!

read the second section
Old 02-28-2007, 06:31 AM

Results do matter...Jamie Gold is the best player in the world.