Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Ridiculous x-games fall

wow, that is just brutal. knowing youre going to slam is one of the worst feelings ive ever experienced but compared to this... jesus. i cant believe he walked away. thats just insanity.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:01 PM

I don't know enough about the scoring or the safety of the sport, and I also know that hindsight is 20/20, but what if he bailed off the board before he went up the vert? Is that a no-no or is that really dangerous in itself? I guess there was no way in hell he could have known it was gonna end the way it did.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:04 PM

[hijack]

Didn't Tony Hawk do a 900 at the X-Games? Why did the announcer say "first 720 in competition"?

[/hijack, resume talking about people getting owned by gravity]
Old 08-03-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[hijack]

Didn't Tony Hawk do a 900 at the X-Games? Why did the announcer say "first 720 in competition"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hawk did a 900 off the vert ramp. This dude did the 720 off the big air ramp (in the horizontal direction).
Old 08-03-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[hijack]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hawk did a 900 off the vert ramp. This dude did the 720 off the big air ramp (in the horizontal direction).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I figured the latter would be easier, but maybe not?
Old 08-03-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also the fact that he hit where there was still a little curve really seemed to help redirect some of the impact laterally. I think it's much worse if he lands where it's totally flat. Look at how far he shoots horizontally when he hits. All that would have been absorbed by his body if he landed flat.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's unclear to me; the fact that he picked up a lot of horizontal momentum could mean that he bounced, to a certain extent, which represents a greater momentum transfer (and thus more force) than just coming to a dead stop. I think you're right that the curve helped him, but from watching it it seems to me that it's because it gave him a little more time to get rolling as he hit the ground, which will lessen the force. (The added time, that is.) I could definitely be wrong about this, though, so I wouldn't take it too authoritatively.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:20 PM

The best part of that video is the commentators right after the fall when the guy is just lying there motionless:

"Oh man, that was the heaviest slam we've ever seen . . . . Wow, I can't believe he made a 720."

WTF is that? This dude could have broken his whole body and the guy is still thinking about his 720.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best part of that video is the commentators right after the fall when the guy is just lying there motionless:

"Oh man, that was the heaviest slam we've ever seen . . . . Wow, I can't believe he made a 720."

WTF is that? This dude could have broken his whole body and the guy is still thinking about his 720.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's X-treme.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's X-treme.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahaha.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's unclear to me; the fact that he picked up a lot of horizontal momentum could mean that he bounced, to a certain extent, which represents a greater momentum transfer (and thus more force) than just coming to a dead stop. I think you're right that the curve helped him, but from watching it it seems to me that it's because it gave him a little more time to get rolling as he hit the ground, which will lessen the force. (The added time, that is.) I could definitely be wrong about this, though, so I wouldn't take it too authoritatively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, a human body isn't going to bounce much off a sloping surface. The curve saved him more than anything else. As they say, "it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop". Hitting a sloping surface made the stop a lot less sudden.

While knowing how to position himself probably made the difference between walking away and being taken on a stretcher, nothing he could have done would have saved him from serious injury (if not death) if he landed on a flat surface.